Maintaining optimal mental state

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by ronnym789, Feb 4, 2020.

1. As long as you have an edge, just try to better yourself every week. Learn from your mistakes and NEVER repeat them. In the long run, its cumulative effect will be amazing.

There's nothing else to do.

You are welcome.

#21     Feb 4, 2020
    murray t turtle likes this.
  2. Sometimes I wish I could do #1... not a possibility for me :D.
    I agree with #2 partially. Sometimes acting on them is appropriate depending on the circumstances.

#22     Feb 4, 2020
  3. What does bettering yourself look like to you? Continually learning from mistakes?

#23     Feb 4, 2020
  4. I have two kids and an ex-wife. Everyone knows in an emergency they can reach me by calling twice.

Yep, the idea is that bad things pass. I don't mean you shouldn't act on them.

#24     Feb 4, 2020
  5. ironchef

ironchef

:thumbsup: Speaking like a true trader.

That is key to surviving as a trader. No one can be consistently profitable, there will be bad days, months and a few bad years here and there but you shouldn't give up as they shall pass. You will fail if you cannot get over them.

#25     Feb 4, 2020
    nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  6. I noticed that you used the word "survive". I imagine that applies to rookies and not to veterans? My desire is to get past the survivability stage and on to consistent profitability without going bust.

#26     Feb 4, 2020
  7. comagnum

comagnum

My optimal mental state is being consistent in executing my trading plan/best practices, detached from the outcome of open positions - analytical & in control.
    Playing strong defense is my main focus "protect your down side & the profits take care of themselves".

I maintain my optimal mental state from going out surfing, wind/kite surfing, swimming, hiking, bike riding, etc. on most days. I will pick up my guitar or a book if I can't get out. It is important to have outlets outside of trading - your life style has a direct bearing on your trading performance.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    #27     Feb 4, 2020
    tomas262 and Turveyd like this.
  8. Turveyd

Turveyd

It's a problem, my state 80% of the time is can't be arsed / don't care, 15% in the zone trading well, 5% brain off half assing it and losing my ass.

#28     Feb 4, 2020
  9. Wow, that's very insightful. Thanks for sharing!

#29     Feb 4, 2020
    comagnum likes this.
  10. schizo

schizo

Messy life usually leads to messy outcome. Don't clutter your mind with junk. Don't over-analyze and don't over-prepare. Come up with a simple strategy even a child could understand.

[​IMG]

#30     Feb 4, 2020