'Maintain vigilance:' National Guard security troops nap in the Capitol

Discussion in 'Politics' started by wrbtrader, Jan 13, 2021.

1. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

It's about time in my opinion.

President Trump not interested in protecting Democracy nor the Capitol. Gotta go around him with all the growing extremist domestic terrorists wanting to target the Capitol again including now targeting all the other Capitols across the United States.

Give them no quarter

'Maintain vigilance:' National Guard security troops nap in the Capitol

[​IMG]

Members of the National Guard sleep on the floor of the U.S. Capitol on January 13, 2021 in Washington, DC. Security has been increased throughout Washington following the breach of the U.S. Capitol last Wednesday, and leading up to the Presidential inauguration. Photo credit Photo by Stefani Reynolds/Getty Images
    By Abbie Bennett Connecting Vets
    [​IMG]
    2 hours ago

Yes, hundreds of National Guard troops were spotted this morning napping on the floor of the Capitol in Washington, D.C. but just about any veteran knows getting rest where you can is not unusual.

Wednesday morning social media began to fill with photos of National Guard troops curled up or stretched out across the tiles of the U.S. Capitol Visitor Center, positioned between the House and Senate and the Capitol building itself. They leaned against pillars, used backpacks and stairs as pillows and napped beneath busts of former presidents, their weapons close at hand.

National Guard officials said at least some of them are likely waiting on lodging assignments as the Guard staffs up in the Capitol region following the assault on the Capitol last week and potential further violence as Congress moves forward with impeachment proceedings and President-elect Joe Biden is expected to be inaugurated on Jan. 20.

[​IMG]

Members of the National Guard sleep on the floor of the U.S. Capitol on January 13, 2021 in Washington, DC. Security has been increased throughout Washington following the breach of the U.S. Capitol last Wednesday, and leading up to the Presidential inauguration. Photo credit Photo by Stefani Reynolds/Getty Images

I spotted the National Guard sleeping in the hallways of the Capitol as I walked in this morning. pic.twitter.com/PzVpQCo5yU

ā€” Daniella Diaz (@DaniellaMicaela) January 13, 2021

Well this is something I thought Iā€™d never see. National Guard members getting rest in the Capitol, guns by their sides, under the busts of Lincoln and Washington. pic.twitter.com/CVDshN76eY

ā€” Ben Riley-Smith (@benrileysmith) January 13, 2021
    "The short answer is duty and resilience. It is not out of the ordinary for soldiers and airmen, especially for MP and security forces units to sleep when and wherever possible to maintain vigilance at their posts," National Guard Bureau spokesman Air Force Maj. Matt Murphy told Connecting Vets Wednesday morning.

[​IMG]

Members of the National Guard rest in the Visitor Center of the U.S. Capitol on January 13, 2021 in Washington, DC. Security has been increased throughout Washington following the breach of the U.S. Capitol last Wednesday, and leading up to the Presidential inauguration. Photo credit Photo by Stefani Reynolds/Getty Images

"With authorization for up to 15,000 troops to be in the Capitol region on duty and hundreds arriving daily, there are logistics involved and the particular group photographed ... may be awaiting their lodging assignments," Murphy said.
    ----------

wrbtrader

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  2. Ricter

Ricter

Reminded me of boot camp. That experience taught me how to sleep on concrete and be grateful for it. (It also taught me that taking up smoking only so you could get the extra breaks the smokers got was NOT worth it, lol.)

CaptainObvious likes this.
  3. Boot Camp was the only time in my entire adult life that I went to church. Why? Because it was one hour of not being screamed at, and it was air conditioned. Sweet.

vanzandt, wrbtrader and Ricter like this.
  4. Overnight

Overnight

wrbtrader likes this.
  5. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Concrete floors, in trees, outside with sleeping bag in the snow, outside in the rain, airport runways, C-130/C-17, rarely used tank trails, tents in the woods and fox holes.

wrbtrader

CaptainObvious and Ricter like this.
  6. Ricter

Ricter

Good thinking. The rarely used part, I mean.
    :D

7. vanzandt

vanzandt

BTW... i read this yesterday when I wasn't logged in.
    I made a mental note to give it a like. I laughed.
    How the f did you get out of weddings and funerals.
    I wanna know.

As an aside, and an overdue compliment...
    Of all the people here... aside from myself of course.... you exhibit the most common sense.
    I mean lots of others "on both sides" make good posts... but hats off to you CO... Charlie Oscar...
    Stay strong and healthy Captain.:fistbump::fistbump::fistbump:

CaptainObvious likes this.
  8. I should have noted a caveat for weddings and funerals. I don't exactly burst into flames when entering a church, so it's safe for those functions.