Mainboard accepting Fewer RAM Sticks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mokwit, Jun 12, 2008.

1. 1. Exactly what is your motherboard?

2. Have you tried installing an earlier version of the bios?

3. Have you tried changing memory timings and voltages to mem etc?

#11     Jun 14, 2008
  2. mokwit

mokwit

Kiwi

Main board is Intel D865PERL. Both old and new memory is the correct spec (i.e listed as tested/compatible) and proven to work as individual sticks

I considered installing a LATER (why do you suggest earlier?) version of the Bios but on looking through fixes in release notes I could see references to hanging at post issues and memory issues but could not see anythoing that specifically related to my problem. Right now the PC is funtioning so I am reluctant to install a new BIOS and risk losing that functionality if I do not know for sure I am specifically addressing the problem.

Memory timing and voltage to memory is going beyond my knowledge. As I am using correct spec memory and the problem developed after having worked fine for a couple of years I assume it is not an incorrect voltage setting as there have been no changes and the problem happens with the old memory also. No comment on memory timing.

#12     Jun 14, 2008
  3. "Boot problem was not present with warm start "

Suggests it could be as simple as CMOS battery. A failing CPU fan will also cause inconsitent operation issues. Additionally, I have seen these type of hardware configuration issues related to the unassuming and seemingly unrelated keyboard or mouse that is failing. Like going to the doctor for a headache and he starts a diagnosis with a rectal exam. Anyway, If your bios has some sort of "error halt" option, try setting to halt on "all errors".

It would be useful too, if you tell us the motherboard make and model, and your OS.

Osorico

EDIT: I see you mention the board is an Intel D865PERL . I suppose you've looked at Intels knowledgebase here... http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-010254.htm
    And specific memory requirements for this board here... http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/D865PERL/sb/CS-027106.htm

#13     Jun 14, 2008
  4. mokwit

mokwit

Main board is Intel D865PERL OS is XP Pro SP1

CPU fan may not be issue as seems OK and problem when booting after the PC has been off for a while.

Boot fails with mouse and keyboard (+ everything else) disconnected. Problem has twice been temporarily cured by removing a stick of RAM but it comes back over time. There is a sporadic nature to the problemIt is random whether a single 1G stick will boot or not - if it doesn't I power off an try another slot until it does. Once it does boot it boots everytime.

Will look into "error Halt" option

#14     Jun 14, 2008
  5. You aren't paying attention... you've got it stuck in your head it is a memory issue.

Imagine that, it won't boot without a keyboard and mouse attached. da!! Must be the memory!

Startup from a very cold boot fails, but a failing CPU fan isn't even an option??? Must be the memory?!

Didn't see where you say you spent 3 dollars and changed the CMOS battery. Oh yea, it's a memory issue, for sure.

Good luck.
    Osorico

#15     Jun 14, 2008
  6. " Didn't see where you say you spent 3 dollars and changed the CMOS battery. "

Certain HP's have a problem which requires a jumper to be pulled and reattached after the CMOS battery is pulled, then put back in.

And this does cause a boot issue, but it's very rare.

#16     Jun 14, 2008
  7. 2ticks

2ticks

It is so rare infact, that HP has made public a specific procedural fix? Doubtful it's applicable to the OPs problem given the Intel mobo, but it is interesting... in the case of HP, very rare might mean several 1000s of units.

#17     Jun 14, 2008
  8. have you also noticed the other problems with these new fancy copper heat sink mobo(s)?

1) the paired ram has to skip slots, so on 4 slots you have to use 1 -3 or 2 - 4.

2) the huge cpu coolers block a number of the memory slots and prevent full 4 slot usage

#18     Jun 14, 2008
  9. 2ticks:

] It is so rare infact, that HP has made public a specific procedural fix?

No, this is not a public fix.

] Doubtful it's applicable to the OPs problem given the Intel mobo, but it is interesting... in the case of HP, very rare might mean several 1000s of units.

Yes, that's quite possible.

In this case the smartest choice if it's not power is probably just to replace the motherboard.

#19     Jun 14, 2008
  10. mokwit

mokwit

Please tell me the logic behind your suggestions in terms of cause and effect i.e boot falure at a particular point in POST.

We went through a process of elimination of everything eg removed video cards etc etc one by one with someone who makes a living with computers - it seems after going through that process we isolated it as memory, further confirmed by the fact that the problem was solved a second time by removing a second stick of memory. I tried different keyboard and mouse and different monitor. Mouse and Keyboard recognition seems to happen before the stall, although I would have though RAM is checked first so mouse and keyboard circuitry/controllers/drivers etc cant be eliminated. I don't think it is memory sticks themselves I think it is an issue with the components and circuitry on the MB that is immediately connected to the RAM manifesting through memory. I base this on the way it took 2 then 10 then 20 then infinity times to boot up - this along with the sporadic nature of the problem seems to indicate component failure.

The PC runs 24/7 so I assume if the CPU fan was an issue this would manifest somehow e.g overheat causing a power off.

Bought a new CMOS battery but my friend who knows more than me said he did not think it was the CMOS battery (gave an explanation as to why he felt this could be eliminated). Accordingly I held back from changinmg the battery as I understand it, if I take out the CMOS battery the BIOS settings will revert to default, and as I did not build the PC I do not know if there are non default settings used which I do not know how to restore. Right now I have a working computer.

Often there is no clearly discernable logic with these problems (although there is always a reason) and trial and error is the only way.

#20     Jun 14, 2008