MagicJack's next act: disappearing cell phone fees

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by S2007S, Jan 8, 2010.

1. It sounds awful to me. You have to use their SIM, so you are basically turning your cell into a cordless phone.

Also, it has a different phone number than your normal cell.

Ignore if you have a dual-sim GSM phone.

#21     Jan 8, 2010
  2. They sell cordless phones you can actually connect today to your home for 19.95 dollars!!

Imagine that. Just buy the regular magic jack and hook up that 19.95 cordless phone and you have it :)

#22     Jan 8, 2010
  3. Had it for a couple years. Only problem I ever had was using a cordless. That gives you problems. Otherwise, great. I love it because you don't pay all those bullshit fees.

Did you see the numbers? They've sold 5mm, 3mm are in use. 110 miill in revs last year. From when I started, they have good chat support. Stuff does come up, but you can fix it in a second. Have something go wrong w/hardwiring and see what Ma Bell gets for a house call.

And, the answer is $70.00

#23     Jan 9, 2010
  4. That's good to know. I had read so many complaints on google search we got skype monthly instead for a second line, works well at about $4 a month.

#24     Jan 9, 2010
  5. spinn

spinn

Thanks flytifer thats good to hear, I had Verizon for a while and they refused to send a bill, i never knew when, or how much to pay, weird.

#25     Jan 9, 2010
  6. I have magic jack and it works great. Unlimited calls to the U.S. and Canada for $20/year is unbeatable. You can even use it in any foreign country in the world to call back to the U.S. and Canada for free. So if you want to live and work in another country, now you can call back to U.S. or Canada for free. If you have family in another country, they can get the magic jack and call you for free. If your computer is off, callers will get your voicemail and you then get an email immediately with an attachment and listen to the voicemail in real player.

All in all, an amazing gadget to have.

Here is a link to their international rates...

http://www.magicjack.com/international/

#26     Jan 9, 2010
  7. magicjack appears to be a form of skype, but on mobile phone, and only in your own house

i thought that was illegal, but who knows.
    also i thought nobody would want do buy this, but it turns out it's cheaper than a landline or normal mobile phone.

having to turn on your computer was a major disadvantage of skype, this may be different. but how will you be reachable if you go outside your house?

#27     Jan 9, 2010
  8. They are just using a GSM cell phone as a wireless handset. What's the big deal? It's still usable in your home only.

My wife uses a BlackBerry from TMobile and has a $10 addon to her plan that switches her phone automatically over to the home wireless signal whenever she is home. It's all you can use plan while on the wifi network. The cutover from TMo's signal to home wifi is seamless and automatic, so is call transfer. Start talking from home and drive away, and it will seamlessly switch to TMo while you are in call. Other telco's probably have similar plan too

#28     Jan 9, 2010
  9. with the original MagicJack I thought there were a lot of reports about poor sound quality and/or calls dropping......has that improved?

#29     Jan 9, 2010
  10. That's what I had heard too, so I passed. As I mentioned there are a lot of variables, me having a background in VOIP sales, that affect VOIP quality.

#30     Jan 9, 2010