MagicJack's next act: disappearing cell phone fees

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by S2007S, Jan 8, 2010.

1. then they'll need a way to disable the device when it's used outside your home.

#11     Jan 8, 2010
  2. Magic Jack's case reminds of those old Radio Shack electronics X in 1 kits. You could do something simuilar to this as long as you kept the kit close enough to the radio.

#12     Jan 8, 2010
  3. pspr

pspr

If it works on VIOP it won't capture much market until VOIP gets much better. At least judging from my experience trying VOIP with Ooma on Roadrunner cable. A nearly free phone service that wasn't even worth that. The Internet needs to get a lot better before it will be anything but a joke for phone service.

#13     Jan 8, 2010
  4. jem

jem

This could have the opposite effect.
    This might be a killer app for at&t.

They might gain revenue and market share.

I use and unlimited plan with Verizon. But, I am not happy about paying them 150 a month for me and another 100 a month for my wife and son.

If that worked... I might switch to att and save money.

#14     Jan 8, 2010
  5. It really depends on the quality of you internet connection. Mine is A grade, 25 mg down and 3 up, and I talk to Europe on skype video and it's almost perfect. Furthermore, there is quite a bit of difference between Comcast VOIP and Vonage or the like. Magic Jack after reading the horrendous CS reviews no thanks.

#15     Jan 8, 2010
  6. It will be like CB radios. some other guy will come out with linears that you can plug it into so you can get out far.

#16     Jan 8, 2010
  7. i'm not understanding what so big about this device. this and the original $19.95 magic jack use a computer. whats the advantage of this over the original magic jack?

#17     Jan 8, 2010
  8. philomath

philomath

What are you guys from the stone ages? using a cell phone handset for free over a land line from your house is NOTHING NEW!!

#18     Jan 8, 2010
  9. BSAM

BSAM

Anything that helps put AT&T out of business; I'm for it.

#19     Jan 8, 2010
  10. spinn

spinn

has anyone tried magic jack?

I just signed up for a 30 day free traial...its $70 for 5 years, whats to lose.

#20     Jan 8, 2010