'Magic Mushrooms' Can Improve Psychological Health Long Term

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by shortie, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Magic Mushrooms' Can Improve Psychological Health Long Term
    By Maia Szalavitz Thursday, June 16, 2011

The psychedelic drug in magic mushrooms may have lasting medical and spiritual benefits, according to new research from Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.

The mushroom-derived hallucinogen, called psilocybin, is known to trigger transformative spiritual states, but at high doses it can also result in "bad trips" marked by terror and panic. The trick is to get the dose just right, which the Johns Hopkins researchers report having accomplished.

In their study, the Hopkins scientists were able to reliably induce transcendental experiences in volunteers, which offered long-lasting psychological growth and helped people find peace in their lives — without the negative effects.

"The important point here is that we found the sweet spot where we can optimize the positive persistent effects and avoid some of the fear and anxiety that can occur and can be quite disruptive," says lead author Roland Griffiths, professor of behavioral biology at Hopkins.

Fourteen months after participating in the study, 94% of those who received the drug said the experiment was one of the top five most meaningful experiences of their lives; 39% said it was the single most meaningful experience.

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2011/06/...psychological-health-long-term/#ixzz1PsSEpgRs
    ..."

is this new? i think i read about something like that before.

2. Eight

Eight

I knew people that took a lot of that stuff in the 60's/70's.. I recall one guy at a party, I had no clue who he was but some of us were standing around talking and he was listening and he was nibbling a handfull of mushrooms... every time somebody said something like "I drove a truck", he would say "I'm a truck driver"... I said I was in Electronics and he says "I'm in Electronics"... I didn't really think he was/did any of the things and somebody told me that the shrooms are like that, they make you like that... I've never tried them because I knew a guy that took them that developed a sort of weird complex... it's good to know that somebody got the dosage right finally though.. I might try them in light of that advance...

I'd like to see psychedelics experiments done with reports for each of the sixteen Myers Briggs Personality Types because what is sauce for the goose is not necessarily sauce for the gander or his cousins...

3. Lornz

Lornz

This is not new, there have been other studies with similar findings. Psilocybin also has a great effects on conditions like OCD. ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17196053 )
    There has also been several successful clinical trials using MDMA to treat PTSD ( http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2004887,00.html )

This is also an interesting read on the subject:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ryan-grim/read-the-never-before-pub_b_227887.html

I barely drink alcohol, but I am of the firm believe that many can benefit from exposure to psychedelic drugs. Read all the trading books you can, take a dose of LSD and let "truth" appear... :cool:

If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite.
    -William Blake

4. Lornz

Lornz

But this might be not be for everyone. It's usefulness seems to have a correlation with intelligence. Presumably this is because of the ability to process a lot of information....

Be careful, or you might end up like Nietzsche:

"In the consciousness of the truth he has perceived, man now sees everywhere only the awfulness or the absurdity of existence . . . and loathing seizes him"

Although, if one takes an "objective" look at the world today, it is hard not to agree...

5. Eight

Eight

I have this amazing ability to remember every shitty thing that ever happened to me... not the good stuff that much, but all the worst stuff be it large or small... so I'm intuitive [right brain] and I interpret my intuitions via thinking [left brain]. Some intuitives interpret what they take in with feelings [also left brain].. the really, really, really, bad thing for me is that I'm male. At puberty males lose most of the communication between the brain hemispheres. It is a hellish thing that just happens and you are so screwed... so recently I discovered Piracetam. This gets the Corpus Collosum busy and the hemis talk to each other.. wow, Nirvana for me, planning went from flow charts and much distraction to "fuck this mess, let's get to work on it".. I don't need to plan that much I just work steadily towards my goal and the progress has been spectacular in the months since I got the Piracetam... and my memories are of a much better quality as are my dreams vivid and good quality... I can remember all the names of nearly all the kids I was in grammar school with, couldn't do that before and getting along with women is just second nature, all these people with these dating gimmicky techniques are just off the back edge of my world nowadays...

I probably don't need the psychedelics, I'll put that off until I get diagnosed with something terminal. I'll get a custom chopper and have some good times too...

6. AKA Ignorance is bliss?

7. What a bunch of hippies!