magic journal of doom

Discussion in 'Journals' started by magicz, Nov 1, 2005.

1. magicz

magicz

no I am not down $1745... the market took about $1200 of my $1536 unrealized from last week from me this week so far. If I had close all my position on last Friday then it would have been a true DD but since it is a UPL then I have a chance to make it back in 2 days because I still have a position open. I am speculating I will have some type of DD this week though. I am crossing my finger that I'll be getting some good signal on Thursday and Friday so I can be flat for the week.

#51     Nov 30, 2005
  2. oh yes...i've heard of this strategy....they call it the "buy and pray" method. Im going to quote what you wrote to me on my journal because it helped me a bit so i will return the favor. :)

. Sometimes my losses would triple my winner just because I think it will reverse course.

Someone once told me when your stock is losing to just get rid of it and find another stock to trade...theres lots of opportunities every day and you cant trade when you tie up your capital in one stock.

#52     Dec 1, 2005
  3. magicz

magicz

Peil,

again I think you miss read.... it was the unrealized profit was given back...I didn't have an unrealized loss...

while your advice is good, it doesn't apply to this situation. let me explain again. I had about $1500 unrealized profit last friday then on Monday,Tuesday, Wednesday of this week, this unrealized profit dwindle to about $300. Which is still a profit but down from $1500. No where did I state that I have accumulate an unlrealized loss, if I did then of course your advice would be sound.... :)

by the way

Sold short 1000 GLBL@12.22
    cover 1000 GLBL@12.33...net -$120

Sold Short 1000 SSTI@5.79
    cover 1000 SSTI@5.89....net -$100

sold to close 1500 VISG@5.43....net $645

not a good day for shorting as you can tell.....

#53     Dec 1, 2005
  4. Could you post periodical account equity updates for us following along? You started with $21k right? Where are you at now?

#54     Dec 1, 2005
  5. ah yes...i did misread that then. :)

#55     Dec 1, 2005
  6. magicz

magicz

granville,

Thanks for reminding me, I thought the only audience I have is myself and peil so I haven't post any numbers but since you requested,here it. Hopefully things turn greener for me tomorrow...

• 12-1.jpg
      File size:
      17.7 KB
      Views:
    #56     Dec 1, 2005
  7. That looks great! You're way up from 21K a month ago.

Have you tested it against a bear market yet? I follow Investors Business Daily and they suggest not investing during those times, but to wait for bull markets.

Good luck!

#57     Dec 2, 2005
  8. magicz

magicz

granville,

It's a market nuetral system so I expect the system to perform in all market condition. I will take on long or short position depending on the signal it gives me. I backtested with data from 1990-2005, so I am fairly confident that it will perform during a bear market as well as a bull market. Of course, the ultimate test is when we are actually in a bear market. So with only less then 1 month of live data, I can't really tell you if it works in a bull market or a bear or a sideway market but the result so far are promising.

I am not too thrill about the result until we hit the 6 month mark because any upside now could just be noise. I am hoping for the best though.

#58     Dec 2, 2005
  9. magicz

magicz

WEEK 3 REPORT

Total shares traded = 26,000
    Total fees = -$158
    Total Realized P/L = $571
    Total Unrealized P/L = $0
    Total P/L = $571

Percent of Change from last week = -3.4%
    Percent of Change from starting capital (21K) = -4.2%
    Cumulative return is = 19%

Week 1 = 23725
    Week 2 = 25860
    Week 3 = 24982

This week we see a draw down as anticipated, the first 3 days of the week was brutal. I saw 2/3 of my unrealized profit from last week evaporated. I did recover some but had a bad trading day on Thursday that took a toll on the week. I ended up the week with a realized profit but with a total draw down from the unrealized profit I had on the previous week. I am still happy I was able to take 1/3 of the UPL $1536 from last week.

My goals for this week are to maintain discipline that I didn’t do last week, take signal as it appears, and give as much attention to this account as my other account during the day.

#59     Dec 4, 2005
  10. magicz

magicz

no trades today. not that I didn't get any signal. I didn't even turn on my screens for this system. I was busy planning my trips and looking at my other account.

This is the last week of trading before time off for the holidays, I'll be in Dallas next week, Trenton the week after and las vegas around 12/24-12/28. I'll probably won't be trading during those time or trade seldomly.

#60     Dec 5, 2005