MAGA success: Homelessness increases for first time in 7 years

Discussion in 'Politics' started by exGOPer, Jan 1, 2018.

1. exGOPer

exGOPer

The nation's homeless population increased this year for the first time since 2010, driven by a surge in the number of people living on the streets in Los Angeles and other West Coast cities. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development released its annual Point in Time count Wednesday, a report that showed nearly 554,000 homeless people across the country during local tallies conducted in January. That figure is up nearly 1 percent from 2016.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/homelessness-increases-for-first-time-since-2010/

2. Cuddles

Cuddles

Thanks Obama

3. Tony Stark

Tony Stark

Maybe some of those tax cuts for millionaires and billionaires will trickle down to homeless:cool:

4. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Think of all the extra change they will get.

5. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

So explain to everyone in the forum why we should care about people who made a deliberate choice to live in the streets in a drug addicted lifestyle. Choices they made for themselves that demonstrate a lack of personal responsibility. Despite continual intervention of social workers and cops they regularly return to living in the streets -- even when being given free housing.

Maybe they should clean up their drug & alcohol habits, work for a living and pay taxes like responsible citizens.

DTB2 and Arnie like this.

6. I was talking to a friend’s little girl, and she said she wanted to be President some day. Both of her parents, liberal Democrats, were standing there, so I asked her, ‘If you were to be the President, what is the first thing you would do?’

She replied, ‘I’d give food and houses to all the homeless people.’ ‘Wow - what a worthy goal.’ I told her, ‘You don’t have to wait until you’re President to do that. You can come over to my house and mow, pull weeds, and sweep my sidewalks and driveway, and I’ll pay you $50. Then I’ll take you over to the grocery store where the homeless guy hangs out, and you can give him the $50 to use toward food or a new house.’

She thought that over for a few seconds ‘cause she’s only 6. And while her Mom glared at me, the little girl looked me straight in the eye and asked, “Why doesn’t the homeless guy come over and do the work, and you can just pay him the $50?”

And I said, "I won't hire him because he is dirty and smells and I think he would rob us."

7. DTB2

DTB2

Agree, unless there is evidence of mental illness(no,not addictions) there is ZERO reason to be homeless. In order to be homeless, how many favors, friends, sofas in basement must one have gone through?

Some people just do not wish to follow convention, any kind of convention. You would think on night of zero degree weather would teach some a lesson, but I guess not.

8. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

I would be more supportive of situations where you have a non-addicted single parent with children who is homeless due to not being able to afford rent and getting evicted from an apartment. But these situations already are first on the list for assistance from both public government and private organizations.

The vast majority of long term homeless are single individuals who are doing it by choice. Even when given free housing most return to the streets.

9. I just asked the heavens that GWB and DTB2 get cancer this year.

Fingers crossed!

My contribution to a better America.

10. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

The addicted homeless make their choices regarding their lifestyle. Nearly all refuse help. It is a question of personal responsibility.

Someone getting cancer is not a choice of personal responsibility. Their decisions on how to treat it (or if to treat it) is a question of personal responsibility with direct consequences.

Are you really going to start 2018 by wishing diseases on people? SAD.

#10     Jan 1, 2018