Mafia: You must pay our "protection", US: You must pay our "insurance"

Discussion in 'Economics' started by crgarcia, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Any similarities are not coincidental?

2. poyayan

poyayan

Not just insurance. Tax, in general, is your protection fee.

3. So true.
    You forgot to type "protection" in quotes.

4. You have to pay car insurance, you have to buy business insurance, eventually we all knew this one was coming. Next thing, you will have to buy carbon footprint insurance.

5. Lethn

Lethn

I remember having arguments with my parents before about freaking insurance, the whole idea to me just seems like a way to help the insurance companies enforce a monopoly over the people in the country. In fact, it seems to me that's exactly what they're doing, this isn't anything to do with making people safe or making it so that people can pay for their insurance when they have a crash. It seems nothing more than corporatism to me.

6. clacy

clacy

You don't have to buy car insurance, if you don't drive.

You don't have to buy business insurance if you don't own a business (although I believe you'd be crazy not to).

This takes it to a whole new level.

7. Talk about a shitty bill. Universal health care with death panels would have been better than this crap. It really does encroach on individual freedoms and yet does nothing to fix healthcare.

8. Bauclair

Bauclair

Taxes creates dead Weight loss in our economy and neglects to have the "invisible hand" work it's magic. I feel like this health care bill will just be creating a bigger tax and creating a bigger DWL.

I don't understand how the middle/ poor will afford this. (Including my self) money is tight enough, the last thing we need is more shit stacked on top of the already mounting bills. I would not be surprised to see the housing market drop when It is finally implemented as well as bank Foreclosures rising again.

I'm betting there going to create a "head tax" next. No matter who you are, what you’re doing, or how much you make. You have to pay a monthly tax. That way it takes away form the economic well being from everyone. BUT wait! The health care reform bill is build on that same concept isn't it?
    :confused:

9. The requirement to buy insurance goes hand in hand with the new requirement of insurers to accept all comers, with or without a pre-existing condition. I think most would agree that prohibiting insurance companies from denying coverage based on pre-existing conditions is a good thing. So that being the case, if no one were required to buy insurance, you'd have millions of people deciding not to buy insurance until they needed it - when they got sick. This would cause premiums to be even more astronomical than they are now, and wouldn't be fair to the people who carried insurance all along.

From what I've read, the fines for not having insurance are only going to range from $95 - $695. They may have underestimated the number of people willing to pay that to hold off on insurance until they need it.

10. cvds16

cvds16