Madonna’s ‘older white woman’ letter from Tupac will be sold

Discussion in 'Luxury and Lifestyle' started by dealmaker, Jul 11, 2019.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

LIVING

Madonna’s ‘older white woman’ letter from Tupac will be sold
    By Rob Bailey-Millado

July 11, 2019 | 10:51am | Updated

Enlarge Image
    [​IMG]
    Madonna and Tupac Shakur at a party on March 1, 1994 in New York City. Getty Image
    MORE ON:
    MADONNA
    Ed Sheeran and Bruno Mars 'Blow' up new trend of guns in pop music

Madonna's 'Madame X' sales tail off after concert promo

Drake officially has more Billboard charted songs than The Beatles

Why celebrity profiles have turned into self-serving gush fests
    Tupac Shakur’s revealing break-up letter to Madonna is finally hitting the auction block July 17.

The pop icon waged a lengthy court battle, but the New York Supreme Court ultimately ruled that the three-page, hand-written letter now belongs to the auction company Gotta Have It! Collectibles.

Madonna, 60, won a temporary block on the sale in July 2016 — arguing that her celebrity status “does not obviate my right to maintain my privacy, including with regard to highly personal items.”

Alas, despite claims that the letter was her “personal property,” she legally transferred it her former art consultant Darlene Lutz as part of a 2004 settlement agreement, according to the New York Supreme Court ruling released online Wednesday.

The court dismissed all claims against Lutz and the the memorabilia company.

Shakur’s penned the letter from prison in 1995 when he was 24. In one passage, the 24-year-old rap legend apologizes for not being a good friend — and invokes one of Madonna’s least favorite subjects: Her age.

“Not because I am evil or because you weren’t worthy but at the risk of sounding over dramatic, the effects of racism make it difficult for a young black man to properly show affection for an older white woman,” he wrote.

Madonna was 37 at the time. Shakur died fatal gunshot wounds the next year in Las Vegas.

With a minimum starting bid of $100,000, reps for the Gotta Have It! estimate the letter will sell for as much as $300,000 when it’s auctioned online next week.

The public can also read the letter for free online.

vanzandt likes this.