"madonna", Weird Pals Met Peres, Freak out Rabbis

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AAAintheBeltway, Sep 17, 2007.

1. OK, I thought the weirdest event of the weekend was Sally Fields Emmy meltdown, but then I saw this article, which frankly, I have no idea what to make of, except that it seems extremely weird to me. Madonna, Demi Moore, Ashton , Rosie and DK???

Sep 17, 2007 2:34 | Updated Sep 17, 2007 4:16
    By MATTHEW WAGNER AND AP

Orthodox teachers of Kabbala reacted with disdain Sunday to pop idol Madonna's Rosh Hashana visit in Israel, during which she took part in a study session of Judaism's most esoteric texts.

Madonna's visit has caused a furor among Orthodox Kabbala teachers.
    "It is a known fact in Kabbala that impurity and evil are inherently attracted to sanctity," said a director of one of the most respected Kabbala yeshivot in Jerusalem who preferred that he and his institution remain anonymous.

"That's why people of Hollywood, a place of iniquity and lasciviousness, are naturally attracted to the holiness of Kabbala."

The director of the yeshiva said he was explaining a basic Kabbalistic concept according to which "sparks" of holiness tightly connected to "shells" of impurity are waiting to be let free. These "shells" [klipot] are naturally attracted to their polar opposite - holiness.

"Wherever there is holiness and sanctity there is also evil," added the director, who said that during her last visit to Israel three years ago, Madonna repeatedly tried to contact his institution, but her calls were not returned. "That's why someone like that lady - I don't even want to mention her name - is so attracted to the Kabbala."

Rabbi Yitzhak Batzri, son of Jerusalem-based kabbalist David Batzri, head of the Shalom Yeshiva, said that it was forbidden to teach Kabbala to non-Jews such as Madonna.

"Even Jews are not allowed to delve into the secrets of the Kabbala until they have thoroughly reviewed the entire Talmud and the legal commentaries, and also scrupulously adhere to all the commandments," added Batzri. "But we as Jews can learn something from the interest non-Jews have in Kabbala. Even the non-Jews understand the power of the Kabbala. They are willing to come from the ends of the earth to learn it."

During her trip to Israel, Madonna toasted Rosh Hashana with President Shimon Peres and declared herself an "ambassador for Judaism."

The singer, who is not Jewish, met Peres at his official Jerusalem residence on Saturday evening, and the two exchanged gifts, with Madonna receiving a lavishly-bound copy of the Old Testament.

She presented Peres with a volume of the Zohar (The Book of Splendor), the guiding text of Jewish mysticism, or Kabbala, inscribed, "To Shimon Peres, the man I admire and love, Madonna," the Yediot Aharonot daily said. A Peres aide confirmed the meeting but had no details.

Madonna arrived in Israel Wednesday night, the eve of the New Year, with her film director husband, Guy Ritchie, to attend a Kabbala conference.

Other celebrities who flew in for the event included movie star Demi Moore and her husband, actor Ashton Kutcher, ex-talk show host Rosie O'Donnell and fashion designer Donna Karan.

"You don't know how popular the Book of Splendor is among Hollywood actors," Yediot quoted Madonna as telling Peres. "Everyone I meet talks to me only about that." Kutcher was quoted by an Israeli daily as telling a group of Israeli businessmen and entertainers on Saturday that Kabbala had answered fundamental questions in his life and made him a better actor.

Madonna, who was raised a Roman Catholic, has taken the Hebrew name Esther, and has been seen wearing a red thread on her wrist in a Jewish tradition to ward off the evil eye. Madonna paid her first visit to Israel three years ago, on another Kabbala-centered trip.

"I can't believe that I'm celebrating the new year with you in Israel," Ma'ariv quoted her as telling Peres on Saturday. "It's a dream come true."

2. neophyte321

neophyte321 Guest

disgusting tramp. talk about ugy americans.

3. Magna

Magna Administrator

I always find it fascinating when people can watch the same thing and walk away with entirely different takes on it. I saw no meltdown whatsoever, just an excited women who was surprised to win (everyone expected Edie Falco to get the Emmy). Like most winners she thanked everyone associated with the show, and being a mother and playing a mother on the show she made a comment on mothers waiting for their children to come home from wars. Then in the heat of the moment (as the band music was trying to cut short her speech) she forgot what she was going to say for a few seconds. Finally she remembered and said, "Let's face it, if the mothers ruled the world there would be no god damned wars in the first place." Gee, what a controversial statement and a meltdown. Fox, in its Fair and Balanced approach censored that last statement. But here's a complete clip of her uncensored acceptance speech (thanks to Drudge Report for providing the link)...

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8b3_1190041214&p=1

4. Maybe they were just mad that she was on the rag or something...

5. A conformist fundamentalist ditto headed right wing klannish thinks something other than their own rigid Christian homogeneous black and white dogmantic point of view is weird.

Imagine that. Shocking...

6. I see the treatment for Bush Derangement Syndrome isn't working on you any better than it did for that poor Keith Olbermann. Just keep reminding yourself that Florida 2000 is 7 years ago, and it will all be over soon.

7. neophyte321

neophyte321 Guest

the last time i saw the "ambassador of judaism" she was french kissing not only brittany spears, but much of young america, ....

f*'ing whore. stone the b"tch

8. I can just imagine a bunch of hasidic jews bopping away to some of her tracks, after a tough day at the wall.

Papa dont preach....
    Like a prayer.......

Hey, there catchy.

9. I like how the good Rabbi excludes the goyem from learning Kabbalah, then proposes jews have to struggle for years through legalistic talmudic text before being allowed to know the true meaning of scripture. I'm sure the good Rabbi has forgotten Zacharia 8:23:

This is what the LORD Almighty says: "In those days ten men from all languages and nations will take firm hold of one Jew by the hem of his robe and say, 'Let us go with you, because we have heard that God is with you.' "

Perhaps Rabbi should wash his own robes if he is to be of any value.