Madoff says losses of 50 Billion!

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Cdntrader, Dec 11, 2008.

1. The biggest loser may be Walter Noel’s Fairfield Greenwich Group, whose $7.3 billion Fairfield Sentry Ltd. invested with Madoff’s eponymous firm, three people familiar with the matter said. Another client was Kingate Management Ltd., whose $2.8 billion Kingate Global Fund Ltd. invested with Madoff, they said.

#51     Dec 12, 2008
  2. Daal

Daal

on the bright side they will have plenty of confetti for the turn of the year

#52     Dec 12, 2008
  3. "If it looks too good to be true, it probably is"

Zero volatility anyone? :cool:

[​IMG]

#53     Dec 12, 2008
  4. I wonder what their their sharpe ratio was :)

#54     Dec 12, 2008
  5. 1. No thinking individual will trust any hedgefund for years. To put it another way, the cat that sat on the hot stove never again sat on a cold one. There will be no discerning a 'good' hedge fund from a bad one. They all are pelts to hang over the fireplace now.

2. This arrest is just the beginning. And with Madoff having the pedigree of resume, what in the world do you think this is going to look like from the outside?

3. Politicians are reactionary. Remember Chanos' gang sending out that Putz Goldstein from Bull and Bear, suing against regulation? Now, it comes back tenfold, as Schumer/Dodd/Frank fight for their pathetic political lives.

4. Buffett thought he could sit back and lick my bones. Let this all play out. I was told he said "too big". He'd sit back, wait for the damage, and swoop in (all my opinion except the "too big" comment). He knew all about this, that prick. Now, how are those GE and GS trades working out?

Your attitude I've run into for years. You're entitled to it, but the few bucks you've pulled from a corrupt system are little consequence when you see that system bring down our economy.

This is an unmitigated disaster. End of Story.

Actually, it's not. Got a nice Christmas present. You'll read about it very soon. More hedgefund follies. Paying reporters, that sort of stuff. Nice. REal talent there.

#55     Dec 12, 2008
  6. "Market neutral statistical arbitrage" :D :D :D

#56     Dec 12, 2008
  7. Gasparino says "incredibly leveraged" losses of 50 billion.

#57     Dec 12, 2008

8. "from July 1989 to February 2001, it would rank as the best performing fund for the period on a riskadjusted
    basis, with a Sharpe ratio of 3.4 and a standard deviation of 3.0%."

http://nakedshorts.typepad.com/files/madoff.pdf

#58     Dec 12, 2008
  9. I'm shocked!

#59     Dec 12, 2008
  10. Quote from Madoff :

"The worst market to operate in using the strategy, he adds, would be a protracted bear market or “a flat,
    dull market.” In a stock market environment similar to what was experienced in the 1970s, for instance,
    the strategy would be lucky to return “T-bill like returns.”

#60     Dec 12, 2008