Madoff says losses of 50 Billion!

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Cdntrader, Dec 11, 2008.

1. achilles28

achilles28

I hope you don't stick around if the verdict looks bad. Not worth it, IMHO.

#41     Dec 12, 2008
  2. Reminds me of a WB quote:

"It's only when the tide goes out that you learn who's been swimming naked."

Real estate, banks, and autos are not coming back anytime soon. Wonder what other turds we're gonna find flopping about on the beach ...

#42     Dec 12, 2008
    #43     Dec 12, 2008
  4. Daal

Daal

and somehow the uptick rule removal will still be blamed for this bear market

#44     Dec 12, 2008
  5. Anon959

Anon959

Any chance we can move Wall Street to Guantanamo Bay?

Blagojevich hand me thinking politicians were reestablishing their preeminence in greed and sleaze, but Madoff proves that Wall Street cannot be topped in terms of sheer audacity. $14B for Detroit is gonna seem like tip money compared to what could be unfolding

#45     Dec 12, 2008
  6. what is the probability that Jim Simmons is also a fraud ?

#46     Dec 12, 2008
  7. A couple of years ago I read about Fairfield's Sentry "Split Strike Conversion" trading approach and was intrigued by the low volatility returns. I tried backtesting and understand the strategy, but I couldn't. It just didn't make any sense to me.

Long a basket of stocks and short the synthetic (split strike) underlying is not an edge.

92% positive months, outperforming LIBOR 550 bps over the last 10 years... I thought these guys know something I don't.

Here's a WSJ article: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122903010173099377-email.html

10% every year after fees with a "strategy" that has zero edge? It sounded too good to be true I guess.

Attachment: 3x leveraged investment product in Fairfield Sentry LTD offered by a Swiss private bank. Equity looks like a completely smooth curve.

#47     Dec 12, 2008
  8. #48     Dec 12, 2008
  9. Gotta love it . I can't stop laughing about this story !

At least the guy is finally being honest about it almost in an unapologetic way :

"It was all a big lie !" "A giant Ponzy scheme !" "We lost 50 bln "

LOL so funny !

Keeping that lie going for so long must have been as hard as making the money he claimed he was making !

#49     Dec 12, 2008
  10. Manni

Manni

#50     Dec 12, 2008