Madoff investor commits suicide in New York

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by turkeyneck, Dec 23, 2008.

1. jd7419

jd7419

Would be a great story/movie. The guy who wrote Ugly Americans and Bringing Down the House could write it and Jack Nicholson could play Madoff.

#11     Dec 23, 2008
  2. Richard Dreyfus. Or maybe Paul Newman. Madoff is just as dead.

#12     Dec 23, 2008
  3. I'm sure he knew once he told them it was only a matter of time and would give them cover with the Feds by turning him in. He wouldn't have told them (assuming they weren't already in on it) if he really wanted to run in the first place.

#13     Dec 23, 2008
  4. letting his sons turn him in, admitting to it, then bugging out may have been a plan to clear his sons when the smoke alarm went off

con artists usually dont really 'come clean'

i suspect his motives for admitted what he did

#14     Dec 23, 2008
  5. Shitstorm is right.

This is just the beginning.

When money becomes peoples' master, you begin to see the fruit of such a disaster.

#15     Dec 23, 2008
  6. tradersboredom

tradersboredom Guest

this storm in 2008 is what broke Madoff's 20 year ponzi scheme

the crash in 1987 and 2002 didn't break his ponzi scheme. market rally quickly after two major market meltdowns.

this slow crash and non-stop redemptions in october and november and december broke his ponzi scheme.

even in 2002 the mega selloff ended after Nov. an a new bull market was after 2002 october.

#16     Dec 23, 2008
  7. I bet the money is in a offshore numbered account and his sons will have access to a special package with instructions on how to access it.

Madoff figures he is 70 and he could do the white collar golf park prison and is willing to take all the blame.

#17     Dec 23, 2008
  8. Wouldn't he have to remove the ankle bracelet first?

#18     Dec 23, 2008

9. :D good point.

these guys live in elaborate fantasy land.

too much james bond as a child, i suppose.

:D

#19     Dec 23, 2008
  10. they'd have to very carefully pick a place to snip it off, or "collar" it with a radio blocking wrap

but doable

remember, this is a case where a guy had almost unlimited means for a plan B

most people dont, and would exhaust funds quickly

i just cant believe aq guy would steal that much, then have no interest in using what he gained to 'make his own luck' when things got hot

about the only thing all that surplus stolen money could really do for him

#20     Dec 23, 2008