MADD prez arrested for DUI

Discussion in 'Politics' started by hughb, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Lucrum

Lucrum

Then why even mention the "legality"? Certainly by today's standards I would say it was/is wrong. Had I been a Roman 2000 years ago I doubt I would have had a problem with it.

"Wrong" yes, although there is no way for me to say, had I lived 200 years ago, whether or not I would have had the foresight to see that then.

Is there a point to all of this?

Is abortion morally wrong, even though it's currently legal?

#41     Mar 3, 2011
  2. "Certainly by today's standards I would say it was/is wrong. Had I been a Roman 2000 years ago I doubt I would have had a problem with it."

So you are making a relativistic argument, that slavery is determined by a country and their standards.

You are not stating that slavery is and/or was wrong from an unchanging moral perspective that is independent of time and place.

"Wrong" yes, although there is no way for me to say, had I lived 200 years ago, whether or not I would have had the foresight to see that then."

Further confirmation that you appear to believe that morality is a function of societal mores, not some absolute criteria that holds true for all times and places necessarily.

That is relativistic thinking.

#42     Mar 3, 2011
  3. Lucrum

Lucrum

Wasn't that much the same as your argument for allowing pedophilia?

#43     Mar 3, 2011
  4. Yes, you are using the an argument that morality is not absolute from a secular perspective, but relative to the time and place.

The difference is where you said slavery is wrong, I never said what Muslims are doing is wrong or right...I just said it is none of our business to judge them...because we don't like it when others judge us.

Kind of like when you say Thunderdog/Gabfly has no business discussing American politics because he is Canadian.

#44     Mar 3, 2011
  5. Lucrum

Lucrum

So you agree that American politics is none of Thunderdog/Gabfly's business.

#45     Mar 3, 2011
  6. Of course it is none of his business.

Back to you, are you now ready to admit that your introduction of the issue you raised about my position regards to how the Muslim countries run their religion previously in this thread was none of your business in addition to being a wrong interpretation, a figment of your imagination, and an outright lie?

#46     Mar 3, 2011
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

No

#47     Mar 4, 2011
  8. Figures, that is what I expected from someone who is consistently a hypocrite and inconsistent in their principles...

#48     Mar 4, 2011
  9. Lucrum

Lucrum

Well nobody is perfect. I tell you what though. Show me one time where you have ever clearly admitted to being wrong and I'll consider it.

#49     Mar 4, 2011
  10. What does my situation have to do with your own principles?

Nothing...

But, if someone makes a better argument, or if there is a typo, I have no problem conceding.

It just rarely happens on the argument side, as I don't play to win the way others do...so losing is rare.

You on the other hand have shown your true colors in this thread and the color is hypocrisy.

...and your response is "well nobody is perfect."

#50     Mar 4, 2011