Mad Money Manipulation?

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Arnie, Mar 20, 2007.

1. MattF

MattF

I don't think the SEC understands it fully as well...besides, he did this so many years ago that even if an investigation could be launched into it, it would take eons before any plausible evidence could be found....because it could also be wiped out w/o a trace :)

Lest he opens his big mouth though and pisses off someone else who would take him out in a heartbeat...heh.

#31     Mar 21, 2007
  2. Cramer might be many things, but he is no dummy.

I'm pretty sure he would have done his homework on the relevant Statute of Limitations before opening his mouth.

I would expect he has finessed the culpability/juicy tidbit sharing borderline. People at that level usually think a few steps ahead.

#32     Mar 21, 2007
  3. Jim Cramer graduated Magna Cum Laude from Harvard college where he was President, or Editor in Chief, of the prestigious daily, The Harvard Crimson. With a degree in Govt.

#33     Mar 21, 2007
  4. Iowegian

Iowegian

it's all about "street cred."

#34     Mar 21, 2007
  5. anarcho

anarcho

This video was refreshing. No booyah's, no acting like a clown, no special effects. Just the truth. Everyone should already know that this stuff goes on every day.. If you have $500 million you don't buy/sell something and hope it goes your way, you MAKE IT go your way.

#35     Mar 21, 2007

6. I think he said he would hit, then tak, hit, tak, hit, tak

kinda just like nibbling around, trying to generate a flurry of activity...

So, hit someone's bid with large size, then tak someone's offer with a smaller size, hit with large, tak smaller.... you give the impression that there's a "seller" out there who's aggressive.....

you know the rest :)

#36     Mar 21, 2007
  7. Understand How The Market Really Works: Read Cramer

Posted on Mar 21st, 2007

http://seekingalpha.com/article/30274

ContraHour submits:
    I have probably read close to every single article that Jim Cramer has written since he started TheStreet.com. At best, I think he's a mediocre trader and probably a slightly worse investor. I know Jim would take issue with that notion, given his performance at his hedge fund over the 1990s ("24% compounded from 1989 to 2001", we know, we know) but my father - who only understands the basics of investing - outperformed him by holding and buying only one stock during the decade - GE (my father worked for GE and it was his primary investment - it compounded at about 28% over the 1990s). Forget the incessant "trading around positions," finding the hot sector, hedging with options, gaming the Fed, etc, etc. Most individual investors should find a couple of high quality companies trading at a discounted valuation and buy. Then they should hold them until they trade at a premium valuation. Sell and repeat. My father sold his GE "when it got too expensive" in 2000. I would say that's genius. The way Jim Cramer trades is controlled insanity - it's not genius.

That said I think Jim Cramer the absolute best at gaming the system - Jim understands better than anyone how the market works and he's the best at making money from the market's machinations. I would garner that most mutual fund portfolio managers, stock analysts and reporters don't have a clue how the market actually works. That's why every professional investor should be required to read every article written by Cramer at thestreet.com, especially the ones from 1997 - 2001. If you really want to learn why stocks go up or down, go to thestreet.com and search for his articles from those years. Print them off and read them. Then read them again.

If you don't have time to do that, watch this Cramer video from the end of 2006. It gives you a great introductory insight into how hedge funds play with the market. It's why the market confuses most people. You don't have to do what Cramer does to beat the market, but you do have to understand it. For example, as a long-term investor, I use these silly hedge fund games to my advantage. I buy when hedge funds are trying to knock stocks down and I sell when hedge funds are trying to prop stocks up. That's why, even if you're not a hedge fund manager, it's a good idea to know why stocks do things you don't expect.

This video is Jim Cramer at his very best - being brutally honest and giving you an insight into the inner workings of the stock market. This is Cramer's genius and it's why I still read everything that Cramer writes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=708wDFX28lc&eurl=

#37     Mar 22, 2007
  8. this isa joke, "id buy and bid buy and bid, etc......" what kind of fucking idiot couldnt make stocks go up that way, tlk to me when youcan do it without taking on a share, then we are on the same page,,,"

#38     Mar 22, 2007
  9. The SEC understands perfectly well that Cramer is
    just blowing smoke. Cramer has no idea what he
    is talking about. He is safe from SEC investigations
    because he never actually manipulated any markets.
    His assertions are wholly fabricated. That they are
    given any credence at all here on ET tells you that
    the majority of ET'ers are complete imbeciles.

If Cramer is fired from Mad Money he can join the
    fictitious Plunge Protection Team and manipulate
    us into a perpetual bull market through postings
    to ET's Chit Chat forum.

Always happy to clear things up,

Emilio

#39     Mar 22, 2007
  10. Yup yup

FDA is worse, much worse.

How about IMF, NAFTA, WTO and World Bank. It's global, don't you see?

The fact that you think the concept of "PPT" is fictitous is enough to show that you do not really have a clue.
    A) It is not denied by the Fed or the government
    B) The notion stems from a memo made back in 1988, Executive Order #12631
    C) It make perfect sense for ANY government to support their own capital markets in times of extreme selling. Just a question of how much are they really doing it

Are you going to start calling the notion that the Government & the Fed are active in the currency markets total fiction?

#40     Mar 22, 2007