MACK -DEE or M_A_C_D

Discussion in 'Trading' started by jem, Aug 3, 2002.

1. jem

jem

When I first started trading I heard almost all people say M-A-C-D then a friend of mine kept saying MACK-DEE I corrected (nicely) him once and he looked at me like I was the bonehead. He kept saying MACK DEE. Then I heard others maybe most say MACK DEE the last few years. As I have not attended a seminar or a big conference in about two years I confess my sample size is small and most of the traders I know could care less.

So here is the question what is the correct pronunciation and please back up your opinion with facts or noted "scholars" who might know or maybe a cite to an online trading dictionary. At worst perhaps we will take a poll but not yet please.

P.S. this debate sort of started on the thread about prop desks at banks

thanks

2. Babak

Babak

Well, this is the way I see it. Since it is an acronym for moving average convergence divergence, it should as all acronyms be pronounced as the letters: M A C D

Do we go around and say: izm when referring to ISM numbers?

. . . or do we say eybem when referring to that venerable blue chip IBM?

3. jem

jem

Babak - solid logic and I agree with you, but I have heard (a minority) guys who use to work in the cbot pits as clerks refer to the N A P M as nap- em and napalm. So I guess they would say ism now.

4. What about M.A.S.H., Radar, Laser, MIPs, RAM, ROM, SCSI, NAT, and NASA?

5. What about NASDAQ.. or make that NAZDOG.

-MIKE

6. Mac-dee is just a slang term and I've heard many traders use it. What's the fuss about?

7. rs7

rs7

Unless of course you are specifically talking about Mac Dee Knife, in which case it is a proper noun!

8. Does it really matter?

9. js1257

js1257

No it doesn't matter. Just call it whatever you want to call it.

10. nitro

nitro

What about SIPC?

FWIW, I call it MACK-D, but I have never used the thing to make a single trade..

nitro

#10     Aug 3, 2002