Machines could make half of humans unemployed in 30 years

Discussion in 'Economics' started by OddTrader, Dec 2, 2016.

1. " Robots could increasingly replace people in workplaces, according to leading computer scientist Moshe Vardi, who told the AAAS that 50 per cent of jobs will be taken by machines by 2050 "
    [​IMG]

d08, smallStops and Southampton like this.
  2. JSSPMK

JSSPMK

Correct. I am starting to believe some conspiracy theorists that are convinced that the elite has set course to drastically reduce world population.

3. java

java

Oh man, jobs. That's all these people know. They can't imagine life without a job. You can't talk sense to them because they can't get out of that job box. I don't know how I would find out, but my guess is most humans don't have a job. So let's start there. And then there are entrepreneurs who not only have no job but despise any job. So at least for most people world wide, they have a life which doesn't involve a time clock and a paycheck.

But now work, toil? A man sits at a desk all his life then he retires. Then he REALLY works. Works out more like it so he doesn't die.

But beyond that, what would we do? I assume some benevolent leader would be in charge. Why benevolent? What would be the point of screwing anybody out of anything, you could just have the machine make it for you. Somebody to run the machines and somebody to monitor flow of goods and needs of the humans.

Then what? Probably no peace and extreme competition. What else would there be but competition and spectators? Make music? Depends on skill level of the music machine. He could probably play anything I can think of. I could just hear it,hum it in my heart/head and he would be simultaneously playing it back to me. Yeah, ok, I'm ready. I'd give you my job but I can't stand the sight of them. I had one once. They are horrible.

smallStops likes this.
  4. I can't wait for the end of work drudgery. Praise to the MACHINES! Free the humans!

5. Once the markets are predictible, it will usher in the golden age of fortunism. The basic economic premise of meeting unlimited needs with limited resources will reverse to managing unlimited resources to limited needs. Games of chance will be created via random number generation and everyone WILL play----

DSG 1997

6. java

java

Issac Asimov wrote a short sci fi story about this. They had eliminated friction and their machines ran forever. Until one day the conveyor belt stopped running.

7. java

java

What will be the prize for winning? They will have to withhold just to create need to play.

8. very informative and interesting post.
    This is starting to put in context the "universal income" thing being tested in some scandinavian countries.

9. Peasant households is the only way to survive in the near future

10. can you spot the limiting beliefs?

#10     Dec 3, 2016