Machine designed strategies. Do they work?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by v75z52, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Thanks for the replies.

#211     Apr 23, 2012
  2. alexvnew

alexvnew

Sounds to me like a multidimensional optimization and curve-fitting across many assets and timeframes. No wonder why some of these investment houses went bust.

#212     Apr 24, 2012
  3. lel4866

lel4866

The goal is to fit a real underlying process and not fit random noise. And to detect when the underlying process changes.

"Curve fitting" and "optimization" are terms that have a bad public press but are used every day to find solutions to real problems in a large number of fields. Most people working in this space aren't that stupid. They know the issues.

Do the techniques need improvement? Of course. Are the techniques applied incorrectly by some people? Of course. Does that make the techniques invalid? Does that mean you stop trying to improve them?

#213     Apr 24, 2012
  4. This is middle office mumbo jumbo & buy side voodoo. Not trading strategy development.

Risk managers use these models to police the front office.

Risk to Trader: "You need to unwind that, because the model says your risk is too concentrated".

The middle office is another career path for failed traders.

#214     Apr 24, 2012
  5. ssrrkk

ssrrkk

Actually that is sort of what I meant -- not so much for trading (day or swing) but more for balancing risk in a long-term portfolio of assets. My neighbor does not describe himself to be a trader but is a principal in a small financial firm that specializes in asset allocation. My guess is that longer term, there is bound to be more signal as you can model things like interest rates, inflation, GDP, real estate prices, corporate profits, etc etc...

#215     Apr 24, 2012
  6. I did find the authors' claim that certain system types had higher failure rates weak, since he didn't provide any empirical substantiation.

#216     Apr 25, 2012
  7. Laughable.

Pay any commissions?

#217     May 3, 2012
  8. alexvnew

alexvnew

Many of the losers here may think you advertise the programs because they think like losers and will stay losers all their life. My main problem is that I cannot afford to purchase a lot of software at this point. But I believe some people have success using them. Is the APS the same with Price Action Lab?

#218     May 3, 2012
  9. The equity curve looked like commissions were missing.

Looks like the entire post has disappeared now.

#219     May 4, 2012