Mach 3.8 Supercomputer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chinook, Dec 8, 2003.

1. i actually steal all my supercooled gases from the MRI at the local hospital.

#31     Dec 10, 2003
  2. NinjaTrader_Dierk

NinjaTrader_Dierk ET Sponsor

Nitro,

Your mailbox is full. I'm unable to reply to your request. Please feel free to contact me via PM.

@All
    Sorry, for the off topic post. Could not find another way.

Dierk

#32     Dec 10, 2003
  3. nitro

nitro

Ugh,

Try again.

nitro :(

#33     Dec 10, 2003
  4. Ninja

Ninja

Linux is a good OS. However IMHO it still needs some years to grow up and question remains if it ever can be superior to a Solaris running on SUN HW, IRIX running on SGI HW, or AIX running on IBM HW.

Linux is successful, because it has something for everyone: Its a cheap toy for hackers, admins get a free Tux for their children, CIOs have to reduce the TCO, Microsoft's competitors have finally their chance, and every half-way smart company is jumping on the Linux train to get a piece of the cake too.

Now when SGI und SUN put Linux on their machines, its because they need to jump on this train too to survive.

#34     Dec 10, 2003
  5. nitro

nitro

Good, don't use it then.

You are trying to convince me that 2 + 2 does not equal 4, and like I said, I have no time or energy to prove the obvious and convince you that you do not know what you are talking about.

nitro

#35     Dec 10, 2003
  6. Ninja

Ninja

You didn't understand what I mean. I said that 2+2 = 4, but that 3+3 = 6.

#36     Dec 11, 2003
  7. Hi bungrider,

Glad you told me. Good luck with your programming!

Good to you,

nononsense

#37     Dec 11, 2003
  8. I just got a pop-up ad (my pop-up stopper obviously not working) for this Mach 3.8 Super computer. Coincidence???

#38     Dec 11, 2003
  9. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

Just to let you know .... We started dealing with linux in 1999 for some major companies that simply did not want to deal with Microsoft at that time. The OS has come a long way since then - but in 1999 these companies already were running 70% of their servers and 100% of their 1000 desktops on linux. Today even my company - which started with Microsoft- has switched 70% of our servers to Linux.

In our operation I run very complicated and demanding server processes on Linux: the cost per cpu cycle is peanuts compared to doing this on a Microsoft server (which we could not use anyway for some of these calculations) and as compared to commercial UNIX vendors.

There simply are all types of major financial and scientific applications being run on Linux on cheap commodity PC boxes. The alternative is a 20K to 50K or more charge depending upon whether we are talking about Unix or Microsoft. The fee for doing these things in Linux is just the labor to customize the software - which is not expensive when you include all the other charges for the custom development.

My only comment on this .....

#39     Dec 11, 2003
  10. CalTrader,

i have a question for you about Linux, so can we move this discussion to a new thread? (the mach 3.8 title doesn't exactly do linux justice)... :D

i started a Linux thread in software... http://elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25650

thx,
    -b

#40     Dec 11, 2003