Macd

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by wanderer, Feb 6, 2005.

1. What settings are you using for the MACD and DMI? If you do not want to divulge, i totally understand.

#11     Feb 8, 2005
  2. I like to use 7,28,1...gives some pretty good signals sometimes.

[​IMG]

#12     Feb 8, 2005

3. This is the biggest problem I have. What I think I have noticed is when the MACD lines oscillate above the "0" lines, their is a long trend and vice versa for a short. I also notice when the lines come to nuetral and "land", the market was in chop and now is getting ready to BO and usually into a trending mode.

My problem is differentiating trending into chop and the transition from trending to chop.

You said above that the day is either a choppy day or trending day. What time frame are you using? I use the 5 min and 30 min combo and find everyday is somewhat trending and somewhat choppy depending on the time of day usually.

Thanks,

JC

#13     Feb 8, 2005
  4. Hi, The Chartist: that's certainly a very interesting chart you've posted here; thank you. Is it a chart of 2-minute bars? And of what instrument?

#14     Feb 8, 2005

5. No problem...hope the chart helps.

It's a 133 tick chart of the ES emini. If your software doesn't draw tick charts, you could probably get a similiar chart with 1 or 2 minute bars.

I'm using Ensign software.

#15     Feb 8, 2005
  6. I could tell it was Ensign. I tried their trial version. Pretty nice software. I may make the switch in the near future.

#16     Feb 8, 2005
  7. Ah, I see ... thank you. That accounts for it. I tried to count the number of bars in what looked like an hour and a half on your curious timescale, and it looked like the bars were about 1.5 minutes each, so I didn't know if I'd miscounted, or what! Yes, of course, I should have thought of that. I think my software has that, but if not I'll take a look at 1-minute and 2-minute bars and see how it looks. Again, many thanks for your interesting post and chart.

#17     Feb 8, 2005
  8. Sorry to make you go to all that trouble! Next time I post a chart, I'll be sure to mention the time frame. :D

#18     Feb 8, 2005
  9. Not at all; don't worry. I'm always interested in what sort of charts other people are using, anyway. :)

I used to use eSignal for everything but switched a few months ago (after getting many recommendations) to ProRealTime, after trying their week's free trial, and it seems absolutely miles better and more reliable and costs about a quarter of the price! If anyone interested is reading, am very happy to recommend it (no good for FTSE-100 and London stocks, though: they keep the price down by avoiding the LSE data-feed costs).

#19     Feb 8, 2005
  10. So for those who use MACD for entries from a divergence or from a zero line cross, what do you look at to get out of the trade ?

Also note on the attached chart that waiting for a zero line cross would have saved you from getting in on a couple divergences that didn't really go anywhere.

• macd.jpg
      File size:
      83.2 KB
      Views:
    #20     Feb 8, 2005