Mac Pro build for trading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by viruscore1, Aug 4, 2018.

1. destriero

destriero

Great rebuttal. Put some money in 10yo old hardware and trade your odd lots.

#21     Aug 6, 2018
  2. Lol, odd lots? FYI there is no such thing in derivatives. The mac pro i'm building will run dual 4k monitors approximately 80% slower than 6k rig if you bought last year. I'll spend .10 cents on your dollar, none of it will contribute to aapl 1t. There are many mac's that dual boot to multiple os, but very few pc will dual boot to osx. Actually I've never come across one. Here's some trivia for you. If it wasn't for Gates, msft, intel and iphone, apple wouldn't even exist.

#22     Aug 6, 2018
    MeAgainstTheWorld and vanzandt like this.
  3. destriero

destriero

0 fucks given to what you're trading. I am sure that your demo account will run great. Again, what does Gates have to do Apple's success?

#23     Aug 6, 2018
  4. I guess you don't know who bailed out apple. Demo account? Sorry, my algo's run on fully funded accounts.
    https://www.wired.com/2009/08/dayintech-0806/

#24     Aug 6, 2018
  5. Here are some benchmarks.
    I have about $180 into this build with 16gb ram, SSD, and graphics card for 4 x 1600P monitors. Obviously monitors are excluded.
    macProDualXeonE54627133.jpg

For comparison my current trading platform is DELL T3500 xeon W3550 @2.80Ghz. It runs 6 monitors for about $250 but i have this for a few years.
    dellT3500XeonW3530285361.jpg

Ok it's about 25% faster. Is all that speed required for trading? Most likely not. Mmmm what to do with an extra 2800 bux.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    #25     Aug 10, 2018
    #26     Aug 11, 2018
    MeAgainstTheWorld likes this.
  7. I'm not here to bash apple but why pay so much ...

#27     Aug 21, 2018
    MeAgainstTheWorld likes this.
  8. I'll open with this:

Apple Hardware is nice. It looks nice, it feels nice, is relatively high performing and it generally is nice to use because it is well integrated with the OS. Especially the laptops (at least older MacBook Air).
    I have owned a mac (an a pc) since the Lisa. I'm not an Apple hater.

I didn't watch the video but remember that time period well. From my perspective as a heavy windows and mac user: Power Computing was eating Apple's lunch ('94-'96?) in the DTP space - they had better hardware and better pricing and better configurability. To Apple's detriment, the licensing fees from clone manufacturers was not making up for the lost revenue on hardware that publishers were suddenly buying elsewhere.

Power Computing was the best "clone" company. I had one of those too and it was great. The case was and ugly beige just like a Gateway, Dell or Micron of the era but it worked so who cares? Apple was in deep sh*t. No one wanted to pay $10K -$15K - yes, $10K -$15K for the same performance you could get for $3500 from a clone. The whole thing happened pretty quickly.

Enter Gates & MSFT to save the day. 100mil later and an agreement to develop Office for Apple, Apple buys Power Computing, terminates the clone ecosystem and Apple is revived...

Yay.

The above opened my eyes to the idea that someone other than Apple could build a mac...
    Some time later there is the adoption of the x86 architecture and off to the races.

Now, 20+ years later, we have DIY Apple clones - AKA Hackintosh, and they are great, even for Windows.

I prefer running Windows in a VM on a Hackintosh. I have used TS in a VM on (fake) macs that I have built since 2010. The "Hackintoshes" have worked better (for me) than new Apple hardware from the same time period with more freedom to configure as I see fit. Mac OS, Apps and updates have worked and Windows + Tradestation runs faster than on a more powerful dedicated Windows machines.

I've tried a couple of my workstations with an identical SSD with Windows versus the SSD with (mac) boot loaders and OS X+Parallels. Windows just seems faster on my (fake) mac than when I run it on the same hardware in a stand alone installation.

Maybe someone can explain why this would be the case...

#28     Nov 5, 2018
    Sprout likes this.
  9. apdxyk

apdxyk

Running TS in a Windows on a VM on a Hackintosh is akin to a transvestite man doing a drag. My hat is off. I loved the Motorola-based Macs, those were truly first class hardware-wise. Nowadays, everybody is parroting 'server class hardware' while it is not. It used to be...

#29     Dec 9, 2018
  10. Cuddles

Cuddles

#30     Dec 17, 2018