Mac or PC?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shevanel, Oct 15, 2008.

1. balzano

balzano

You are quite right about that Trojan bit, but what you did not mention is how difficult it is to get infected and how many conditions need to be met before a Trojan can be "successfully" installed on a Mac vs a windows box.

Keep in mind - Linux and Mac have the same user security framework. Since Mac is based on a cannibalised Unix port.

Hell.. I have installed a Trojan on a Linux box in the past - but Linux users are more savvy and can sniff out dubious processes.

“Security is a process, not a product” - Bruce Schneier

Not to go into much detail, but the fact of the matter is… everything is vulnerable – it is up the user to keep his/her guard and be aware.. Because most of the Anti-virus/firewall/intrusion detection systems/etc.. Are designed to keep 95% of attackers at bay – but no matter how secure your system is there will always be that 5% who are very capable of breaking into any security system provided it is fruitful in one way or another.

#11     Nov 5, 2008
  2. jr07

jr07

I'm a Mac User and have found most trading tools are PC based so if you're serious about it go for a PC

I think I might end up having to go for the parallels, windows, etc option which sucks but c'est la vie de les traders.

J

#12     Nov 5, 2008
  3. kinar

kinar

As others have said. Mac/Linux not actually any more secure than windows. It's just that noone attacks macs. Also, a intelligent user will trump intelligent Antivirus/Antimalware 100% of the time.

PCs are built to be cheap. And people who don't want to spend a lot on thier PCs generally also don't want to learn how they work which creates a market for AV companies.

Macs have this as well but to a lesser extent. Almost every mac user knows when thier computer has started "acting funny" and also knows howto troubleshoot basic problems.

This knowledge has been gained through years of tech support for a major ISP where I dealt with these problems on mac as well as PC.

As for stability. Macs are no more stable than windows either. Macs are simply easier to fix when stability becomes a problem so there is a percieved stability increase with a mac. However, I certainly do not recommend a mac laptop. If you can get one out of the factory that isn't defective and you put it on a desk and never move it (like you would a desktop), then you will be fine. But traditionally, mac laptops are not at all durable.

But also as others have said...your decision should be made based upon the software you use and the amount of money you want to spend.

#13     Nov 6, 2008
  4. Tums

Tums

If Apple can improve the mouse, I will consider a Mac.

#14     Nov 6, 2008
  5. You don't have to use an Apple mouse, if that is what you mean here.

#15     Nov 6, 2008
  6. kinar

kinar

as bugs said..just don't use it...

You can plug any USB mouse into a mac and it will function (even with a right-click button).

I always got a nice chuckle out of using a microsoft intelimouse on a mac back when microsoft mice were top notch

#16     Nov 6, 2008
  7. Syprik

Syprik

Exactly what "headaches" are you referring to? If Vista, by all means plot away. I hate to be sound like a Microsoft shill, but XP Pro SP2 Corporate Edition is extremely reliable (this coming from an engineer (prev career) who worked exclusively on Solaris/Unix). Have built multiple high powered trading systems around Win XP PRO SP2, Quad-core INTEL, DUAL Nvidia cards, Corsair PS's etc and have never "once" had a failure since systems were brought online.

If it's a trading system, keep it that way (barebones). Where most get into trouble is when they bloat the system with 3rd party software.

Here is a list of total software installed on main trade workstation:

1. IB TWS Standalone (latest)
    2. Java (latest)
    3. Multicharts 4.0
    4. Neuroshell 5.x
    5. IQFeed client
    6. Amibroker
    7. AVG Anti-Virus (auto-updates deactivated)
    8. Microsoft Word/Excel/PP (XP edition - barebones install)
    9. Adobe Reader
    10. Latest SP2 updates (auto-updates deactivated)
    11. Barebone hardware drivers

28 processes active on startup. System powered down every night.

Not a single failure/issue since inception (8+months).

XP Pro SP2 trading system with Macbook (fragile, beware) sounds like a good plan to me. FWIW, have strong preference for IBM Lenovo Thinkpad.

#17     Nov 6, 2008