Mac for trading? - I have a few questions.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kastro_316, Jan 31, 2007.

1. I ran InvestorRT till I started using QuoteTracker.

(I have mutuals with Etrade so I use their realtime data feed) Semi free. They dont charge fees on IRA accounts but my mutuals just languish. LOL.

#21     Jan 31, 2007
  2. ozzie123

ozzie123

I also use a mac (blackbook to be exact) and connects it only with 1 other monitor (two screen is enough for me -- the macbook screen and 1 external screen).

I run TWS on macintosh and OPX for my analysis. No quote tracker whatsoever, I'm a swinger so minute-by-minute move of the price isn't that important.

#22     Jan 31, 2007
  3. Well after fiddling with the TWS program a little more, I had decided to jump back into InvestorRT and go with IB for my brokerage.

These are of course Dedicated Mac Programs (at this point) so you will not get the system slowdown you get while running Windows and OSX on the same computer.

I Installed Vista into Parallels over the weekend. Vista is pretty, it works with MedVed QuoteTracker and Trade-Ideas Pro just fine.

One thing to not also. I know I have stated this elsewhere, Trade-Ideas Pro runs GREAT under Crossover for Mac. (TI is a PC Only program)

So for the potential Mac Buyer, you can do everything you want with a Macbook or any Intel Mac for that matter.

If you need a PC only program, check the crossover community to see how well it functions, as crossover is a nice low CPU useage option to Parallels or VMWare.

#23     Feb 5, 2007
  4. ozzie123

ozzie123

To be honest, I'm now astonished at how well Amibroker integrates with IB's data feed in which I can code (almost) any imaginable mechanical trading system.

I will probably run Amibroker AND IB for a mechanical trading system in the future (not done it yet, still has to learn the kinks of Amibroker's programming -- and I still have to finish my final paper)

#24     Feb 5, 2007
  5. Amibroker is pretty easy to code for. I coded some quick strategies and they coded very well. My Only complaint with amibroker is the portfolio window didnt account for margin.

Although backtesting does.

#25     Feb 5, 2007