Mac for trading? - I have a few questions.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kastro_316, Jan 31, 2007.

1. jho

jho

Personally I haven't run Vista yet. I won't on my trading computer until they get some more bugs worked out of it. Vista will be a bit slower compared to XP because of it's new sleek design etc etc. Honestly, I doubt you would notice it being slower on your machine though ... you have fast enough processor/vid card/memory.

I don't load my computer down with a bunch of crap though. Do you have a bunch of music/programs/other crap on it?

#11     Jan 31, 2007
  2. I have nothing on my computer but trading software and a few programs like MS office, and webpage editors.

Is there any need to get a Duel Core?

#12     Jan 31, 2007
  3. Doesnt sound like you need dual core.

On my macbook, parallels runs windows on one Chip and I have alloted only 256MB to the entire program/OS, etc...

And yes you can easily run that and some graphics design software at the same time. I have traded and run Photoshop CS3 at the same time with no hassles.

#13     Jan 31, 2007
  4. jho

jho

No you don't need one right now unless you feel like you want to keep up to the newest tech. (In which case you might wanna fork over the big $$$ for a quad core...j/k)

I run an AMD 3000+, 1GB RAM, (2) 128MB Vid Cards and I am fine for now...

But if you want to spoil yourself go ahead :D

#14     Jan 31, 2007
  5. jho, what software are you running??

#15     Jan 31, 2007
  6. jho

jho

Trading software? Just TWS standalone and Medved QuoteTracker.

#16     Jan 31, 2007
  7. Ok.

I use Quote tracker and Trade-Ideas Pro.

I am in a straight between IBrokers and Tradestation for my next move.

I have used TWS on the mac side. Cute program. I can use it though I dont like using Java apps.

Trying to field experiences using TradeStation 8.2.

So I can decide between the 2. How do you like IB (I know this is a side journey from the main topic)

But then again TWS will run on OS X

#17     Jan 31, 2007
  8. jho

jho

giles - Send me a PM with some specific questions. Thanks.

#18     Jan 31, 2007
  9. I'm fine. Thanks. I figured you might have some answers that might help other mac users who are looking at the transition.

As a Diehard MAc user, I understand a lot of the issues with PC and mac life coexisting. as a Parallels fan since they introduced the software, I have been able to resolve a lot of issues.

As a MAcBook user 5 days after Apple introduced them... You get the picture. These are public Q's to help Potential Mac Traders, etc.....

#19     Jan 31, 2007
  10. TinGull

TinGull

I as well trade on a Mac. I have a 20inch iMac 2.16 Core2Duo. Fabulous machine. I as well run Parallels and it's awesome.

For the monitors, true on the 3 additional. Keep in mind it's only VGA, and like you said about the resolution....

On my mac I run InvestorR/T, Adium (for chat), Mail, iTunes, ToS platform for execution, FireFox, iShowU for screen video capture, and Parallels with Infinity's execution, all on 1GB RAM. The thing is a rock!

Best of luck with the Mac :)

#20     Jan 31, 2007