Mac Computers Moving an Appllication

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Joe, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Joe

Joe

So I want to move Microsoft Office from one Mac to another, any one know how to do this without a CD? Both computers are brand new and are running the new OS.

Thanks,
    Joe

2. gnome

gnome

Don't think it can be done.

There are programs which will "copy everything" from one rig to another, but they say copying one or selected programs is virtually impossible.

3. Joe

Joe

I know it can; Mac's are built that way, I just wanted to know someone that did it to see what problems they ran into and what files they copied over.

4. gnome

gnome

Well, OK.. I hope you're right.

5. There's a small program in the Mac Utilities folder called Migration Assistant". It may be what you're looking for. I haven't tried it, but I remember seeing it there recently.

6. Joe

Joe

Yes, I was hoping not to use migration assistant. But you are correct that would be the ideal way to do it. I was checking on some websites, and they say you just have to copy the program out of the application folder.

7. rickf

rickf

IIRC you can drag the Applications folder to the new hard drive, and then copy your preferences from /user/library to your new machine.

Might have a conflict if you run both copies simultaneously on the network with the same serial #, though.

8. Joe

Joe

Gotcha, then if I don't copy the library folder than it all goes back to default settings that came with the program...correct?

9. If you actually bought Office and still have your license key in hand you can just copy over the entire /Applications/Microsoft Office directory from one Mac to the other. When you run it it should ask for the license key.

You don't have to copy the files in ~/Library as those will be created automatically with the default settings if needed when the application runs.

You can run Office on both computers simultaneously using the same license without conflicts, there is no network validation.