Mac + Bootcamp + Win XP + QCharts and TWS anyone?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Ajax2004, Jun 26, 2007.

1. And the other kick ass is, that Apple sells refurbished machines all the time....

You can save a chunk... My Mac Pro came in at $400 off regular price... I have only bought 2 new Macs in 15 years, every other Mac was a refurb... I hate to pass up a deal.....

SO the again, the price thing is a Moot point.. It holds to the old of Mac vs PC.. Which was dumb then and dumb now......

It's about what OS you like.....

I prefer OS X.. Though I use Windows XP inside of a VM for trading....

It' about what you want, not whats cheapest these days...

I have Mac Minis, iMacs, MacBook and MacPro... All with Windows running under a VM when needed.....

Or Ubuntu, or Linux...

#11     Jul 14, 2007
  2. Ajax2004

Ajax2004

and how much for the graphics card upgrade, lower weight and dual OS's capability? ;-)

#12     Jul 14, 2007
  3. I think macs are great but if you are gonna run a licensed copy of windows on it for the majority of your use they are pointless... the beauty of macs lies in their OS.

I bought one refurb in my life and I will never do so again. Just my 2c

#13     Jul 14, 2007
  4. I didnt realize XP cost that much... My Licensed copy came 3 years back and still works... Hmmmm... He did say XP right??? Maybe I need to re-read the thread....

Sorry refurbs didnt work out for you...

I have refurb macs over 10 years old still in service.... 97 imac 300Mhz for the Kiddies, 96 - 6400 still in service for the kiddies..

Both refurbs.... Still kicking butt running 24/7

Your Mileage May Vary...

#14     Jul 14, 2007
  5. I believe a full licensed copy of Vista cost in the neighbourhood of $500... don't quote me on that price though.

The bottomline is... go with the machine you like... we are traders, who gives a flying $uck about $1000-2000 in savings anyway... that is just slippage.

I just didn't see the point in buying a mac and running windows, the best part of the mac is the OS.

#15     Jul 14, 2007
  6. MBP is the most beautifully designed laptop ever, I pay for the beauty of the machine :D, as for windows, my copy cost 100 bucks.

#16     Jul 14, 2007
  7. yes you are right... Slippage, Commissions, Data fees, etc. cost more than the $100 bucks you try to save on price... LOL....

I use Macs and trad eon macs with VM becasue... Well... Macs make Windows look better... and Feel better... I cant explain it.... I had more problems with a PC Box running windows than I have had running XP under bootcamp or inside a VM... Though I have gotten smarter... Inside my VM I only connect to TWS....

You have the ability to either connect to the outside world, or only connect to the Host... sorta like good ole 127.0.0.1 IP address.

#17     Jul 14, 2007
  8. Ajax2004

Ajax2004

No Vista for me for another year at least. Too many issues with drivers, running games etc. Besides I get all the eye candy I can handle with the OS X :)

Yep, the price wasn't a factor which is why I said no mainstream laptop PC machine out there today has the kind of specs the MBP has. Nuff said.

#18     Jul 14, 2007
  9. TWS I believe runs on mac OS anyway.

#19     Jul 14, 2007
  10. I just checked out that mac you are looking at... I would probably go for that one also... mainly because of the style and chick attracting factors:)

although I do like the DELL XPS1330 with the SSD but that is a much smaller screen, probably not good for gaming... but weights in at 3.9lbs

#20     Jul 14, 2007