Mac Book Air

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Maverick74, Mar 10, 2011.

1. What's worth more to a trader - using a superior computing device, or saving $1k over 3 years? Given that just one system crash at the wrong time can easily cost multiples of that, price differentials in the 1-2k range are virtually irrelevant. If you have enough capital to trade, you have enough capital to pay 30 more per month to get a better box.

#11     Mar 12, 2011
  2. What about long-term reliability with the solid state drives? It's a relatively new & unproven technology. Is there a big enough performance improvement over normal hard drives to be worth using the solid state ones?

#12     Mar 12, 2011
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

Thanks guys for all the comments. OK, I should have been more specific here. I was not intending to use this as a trading computer except in an emergency perhaps when traveling. The problem I have with laptops in general is I never really found them that easy to travel around with either within the city you live or traveling across country. The weight and size is enough of an annoyance to just make you want to leave it at home.

This is why I liked the mac book air. It's so small and light you would almost forget you even have it with you. Which brings me to my next question. I'm also looking at just getting the new i-pad. As someone said, the i-pad really can do pretty much anything an air mac could do and it's even smaller and lighter and easier to use when traveling.

So my logic was to get the mac book air as a recreational laptop for any typing based stuff you have to do. I really can't see how typing could ever be easy or fluid on that i-pad. And then use the i-pad as the travel item.

I already have a Dell Precision laptop with a huge screen that is perfect for trading. The problem I have with trading on laptops is not the performance issue but rather the lack of screen real estate. I really need a lot of screens and I have never found it easy to trade on a single screen laptop.

#13     Mar 12, 2011
  4. Possibly the single dumbest comment I've ever seen on ET -- and that's a <i>very</i> high hurdle.

#14     Mar 12, 2011
  5. I was thinking that when I read it as well, didn't even want to bother responding.

#15     Mar 12, 2011
  6. Banjo

Banjo

7. Maverick74

Maverick74

#17     Mar 12, 2011
  8. Have had a MacBook Pro 15" for 3 years.
    Hard as a rock.
    No regrets.

#18     Mar 12, 2011
  9. unproven? it's been proven beyond a reasonable doubt ;)

solid state drive are much more reliable than the traditional mechanical drives, and they are order of magnitude faster. People usually go for the big cpu and memory but they dont realize the hard drive is the single most important performance factor in a computer, getting a powerful computer with a 7200rpm will be like driving a porsche with wooden wheels..

Until recently there is no alternative to the 7200rpm except the raptor 10k which is marginal improvement, now there is a mass of very fast ssd at a reasonable price, there is no excuse to continue use the old mechanical hdd.

#19     Mar 12, 2011
  10. WS_MJH

WS_MJH

Hey Maverick:

I have a MBP with both OSX and Win7 ultimate. As Newguy05 said, having both of those operating systems makes the computer worth it. You can have the best of both worlds, just make sure you get the top of the line one with lots of memory. Don't get an iPad. Unless you do a lot of presentations, it's more of a toy than something to use. Typing on it is a real pain. If you're going to do any work, get a MBP or air. I went with the pro because of power and I felt the air was a little too light, which is probably what you're looking for. The air is perfect for traveling, but the MCP is great for traveling as well. I never had any problems traveling with it. Just head to an applestore and see what you think. best.

#20     Mar 12, 2011