M2M election Template

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by vm81, Mar 12, 2019.

1. vm81

vm81

I have an LLC that trades in securities (stocks and options) only. This is the 1st time I will be electing M2M and I know I am supposed to file it by March 15th.

Does anyone have a template that they recommend. I know we have to attach it to the LLC return or extension - but not sure if people prefer certain template to use for the election.

Thanks

2. Election statement...

“Under Section 475(f), Taxpayer elects to adopt the mark-to-market method of accounting for the tax year ending Dec. 31, 2019, and subsequent tax years. The election applies to the following trade or business: Trader in Securities as an LLC/sole proprietor/corporation/etc (for securities only and not commodities/Section 1256 contracts).”

Existing taxpayers complete the election process by filing a Form 3115 (change of accounting method) with the election-year tax return.

The Section 475 election procedure is different for new taxpayers like a new entity. Within 75 days of inception, a new taxpayer may file the Section 475 election statement internally in its records. The new entity does not have to submit a Form 3115 because it’s adopting Section 475 from inception, rather than changing its accounting method.

HTH

3. vm81

vm81

Thanks a lot. This is pretty much what I have from Green, but I read somewhere that his election statements are not ideal - so thought I will ask around.

I guess I will go with this.

4. vm81

vm81

Also - a clarification. Should it say Trader in Securities as an LLC OR Trader in Securities as an entity

5. I used "LLC". Entity is too vague, IMO. You are attaching this to the "LLC" (1065 or 1120/s) tax return. :)

What was important (for me) is the inclusion of "for securities only and not commodities/1256 contracts" portion.

Relax.

vm81 likes this.