lumber trading

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by danielfields1, Sep 18, 2006.

1. We do not see any slow down, but mainly because we supply commercial contractors that build shopping centers, hospitals, custom houses.

#11     Oct 2, 2006
  2. #12     Nov 12, 2012
  3. This is so true this past month. I've been trading lumber for about a year now and the little liquidity that was there has evaporated. These days it can move limit up with no news and less than 500 contracts traded for the most active month. It's definitely not for day trading or someone who uses stops less than $10

#13     Nov 13, 2012
  4. Are you doing well

#14     Nov 13, 2012
  5. Lets just say I entered a short position a little less than a month ago and let it ride for a while. After getting out of that trade a few weeks ago I've done ok since then. I don't trade much size in lumber because of the liquidity so unless it trades at the limit for a week straight against me it doesn't concern me too much.

#15     Nov 13, 2012
  6. Mazzy

Mazzy

Anyone have an thoughts on the direction of the SPF market...up limit today with rumors that wholesalers are buying heavy in the cash market

#16     Jan 9, 2014
  7. xandman

xandman

Lumber pit was where the cme would train the new price reporters because it was so dead.

Often times, a trainer would grab an acquintance to pretend to trade whether member or clerk.There is zero action there. The pit was a 5 foot octagon that was 6 inches deep. Mainly used to sweep cards cluttering the walkways.

Most likely you fast fills are electronic. You would have to chase down a broker in the shitter or scalping for his own account in another trading pit.

#17     Jan 14, 2014
  8. I think its funny how people complain about illiquid markets, then turn around and complain about how the market is so liquid you can't nearly find edge..

http://nassimtaleb.org/2012/08/nassim-talebs-green-lumber-problem/#.UtTLm_RDu0c

#18     Jan 14, 2014
  9. xandman

xandman

Oh yeah, how about every generation of trader saying the other generation was where the big money was made?

I think a new crop of winning traders rise up with every cycle based on their method/style. It's like the rise and fall of investment pundits. like catching a good wave.

Unless of course, you were Ed Thorpe. He definitely had edges and milked them.

#19     Jan 14, 2014
  10. Many many have edge. They don't write books. I agree with ya.. Ed thorp is a trading genius...

#20     Jan 14, 2014