Lumber is starting to look interesting

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by Sequoia1321, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Looking at the lumber long term chart, seems to be heading for major resistance at 480:

https://www.tradingview.com/chart/?symbol=CME:LBS1!

Anybody experienced in this contract? Thinking about shorting it around there for a long term trade, maybe few months to a year.

2. ryker

ryker

Lumber is one of my favorite contract to trade but only on spreads. I have started a short on the U-X spread last week and will hold for the next 2 months.

Sequoia1321 likes this.
  3. maxinger

maxinger

It has been interesting because hardly anyone trade it

AKUMATOTENSHI likes this.
  4. Hard to find analysis about it. Might be a good short at 480, stop at 520, and take profit at 400. Will see.

5. Fonz

Fonz

I am having a good time with Lumber :sneaky:

If you look at the seasonal patterns, you could see a short between the 5 to 15th of July. The COT are still Long with less strength. My chart show me Long exhaustion.

As soon as I read the COT + a chart pattern, all going short with the seasonal, I will also go short and probably until at least mid September.

Best!

TSImage4.jpg

Sequoia1321 likes this.
  6. CannonTrading_Ilan

CannonTrading_Ilan Sponsor

Very thin market...from my colleague, John Thorpe who worked on the CBOT floor when there was still a trading floor!

7 to 10 dollar gaps are common place. $770 to $1100

If you are trading the lumber , don’t count on your stops to provide much protection, if any.

I would recommend Deep Pockets only for the lumber market and watch your leverage, you would need to risk 1000’s to make 1000’s.

Today ,volume in the Sep contract is 74 lots with OI @ 1475. If you are trading spreads enter and exit as spreads but understand, in limit move markets , one leg of the spread does not necessarily have limits. Check the rules at the website. The LaborDay/Jan21 spread has traded two lots today.

Intriguing chart patterns, be careful here.

AKUMATOTENSHI and Sequoia1321 like this.
  7. Fonz

Fonz

Today or Monday maximum, is a good time to exit.
    Not being to greedy, I am flat this morning.
    This is a thin market, 1 or 2 contracts maximum and always front month.
    Anyway, not a bad day :sneaky:

8. Lumber is getting closer to the 480 area which I think is a significant resistance area. Was planning on shorting there but now having second thoughts about shorting it.

9. CannonTrading_Ilan

CannonTrading_Ilan Sponsor

Still strong and still very thin.....I would wait for a signal that rally running out of Gas. Perhaps correlation to copper or stocks? Close below today's lows?
    upload_2020-7-7_9-46-4.png

#10     Jul 7, 2020
    Sequoia1321 likes this.