Lowering high blood pressure

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by ubo, Jun 14, 2017.

1. ubo

ubo

Would appreciate if anyone can talk about how they had lowered their high blood pressure permanently.

userque likes this.
  2. Assuming you don't have a genetic predisposition for high blood pressure it's all about diet and exercise. I was always fit up until my early and mid fifties when I let myself go to hell. I had a annual physical in 2007 and my BP was 156/94, and was a good 60 lbs. overweight. After some discussion with my doctor I was given three months to get the weight and BP going in the right direction or go on medication. I began exercisng, all cardio on a elliptical to begin with. I cut out all fast food, 100%. Cut out all junk food, candy, cake, ice cream, chips, etc. Three months later I had dropped forty pounds and my BP had dropped to 130/84. I have continued a proper diet and a solid exercise program since. My weight is proportional to my height, and my last BP was 118/78. I do have an unrelated heart disease diagnosed last summer. Bottom line, eat healthy and exercise.

ubo and userque like this.
  3. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I have a "low blood pressure" problems due to a serious illness the fall of 2016. Yet the problems from low blood pressure is almost just as bad as the problems from high blood pressre. Yet, I personally know many with "high blood pressure" problems.

1) Go see a doctor an
    2) If you have high blood pressure and you did see a doctor...he/she would have prescribed medication to lower your blood pressure. In addition, he/she should have referred you to a nutritionist or dietician to help teach you with how to control your blood pressure via good eating habits and the doctor may have (should have) referred you to a physical fitness person that specializes with working with those with high blood pressure.

Regularly eat foods high in content that lowers blood pressure. Use Google to get a list of such foods.

3) Exercise regularly...cardio work for a minimum of 30mins for 3 - 4 days per week. If you enjoy the exercise and get guidelines from a fitness person that's in the exercise room with you.

If you're one of those that prefers to work out on your home...go for long fast walks, do cardio exercises at home, practice relaxation/meditation techniques at home.

4) Get one of those blood/pressure machine (a decent one will cost around $100).

More people or too many walk around daily with "high blood pressure" without any problems. Yet, they don't realize they are a walking "time bomb". High blood pressure makes you susceptible to strokes, heart attack, eye problems, kidney problems (I have a few relatives with this issue...not good if you have to do dialysis) and many other problems such as your body not being able to fight when you get ill from something that's acute.

What's dangerous about "high blood pressure" is that its rightfully nickname the "silent killer". There's no symptoms for high blood pressure. Yet, its very easily detected and easily fixed through proper exercise, proper eating habits and medication if needed.

Its highly recommended a person with high blood pressure to "first" see a doctor and get prescription medication. Next, immediately change your routine (exercise, eating, stress) that's causing the high blood pressure. After a few months of exercising and eating properly...you should be able to see your blood pressure dropping back to normal or below normal.

After it goes below normal...see your doctor again about "reducing" your blood pressure medication or having the medication removed and you then use exercise and proper eating habits, relation/meditation techniques to control your blood pressure.

My mom use to have high blood pressure and her dietician made two changes...she removed the salt from the eating habits and added regular long walks. Her blood pressure normalize within two months.

Once again, if you know you have high blood pressure and you have not seen a doctor...go see your doctor. Do more physical activity or sports...healthy eating and you'll do more good things for your blood beyond just controlling your blood pressure.

ubo likes this.
  4. ubo

ubo

Hi CaptainObvious,

can you provide more details regarding your exercise regime?

Thanks.

5. ubo

ubo

Hi wrbtrader,

can you provide more details about how your mom went about removing salt from her diet and her regular long walks? Did you know what was her blood pressure reading before she took these steps? Why didn't she go on the medication route?

Thanks.

6. trader482

trader482

Maintain a minimum of 3:1 ratio of Potassium : salt in your diet and go low fat. Start at fat < 10% of calories until BP is normalized than add fat back in slowly until the point at which BP starts rising.

http://www.highpotassiumfoods.org/

7. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

The dietician notice after several consultations with my mother from a list of foods and the preparation process of those foods...my mother was a heavy salt eater. She put salt in everything when she really didn't need too (e.g. on corn, in frybread, soups with meats like fish/deer/rabbit/beans and dairy products).

Yet, she was not overweight...just normal built for a woman of her age. She didn't exercise.

She just removed the salts but continue eating the same foods but more vegetables and she's a member of a walking club from her health/fitness club.

The readings that alarmed the doctors was 165/110...about 3 years ago.

She's no longer on medication for about 2 years I think. It's the changes in her diet and the heavy regular cardio work she does that keeps her blood pressure around 110/75.

In my opinion, the best way to lower high blood pressure is via proper eating/proper exercise and meditation/relaxation although a doctor must be seen. Its not a joke...its called the "silent killer".

8. Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  9. I must preface all comments by stating that what worked for me may not work for anyone else. Age, actual physical condition, previous experience with exercise, all come into play.
    That said, it's pretty simple. I was mid fifties, fat and in piss poor shape, so I got my fat ass on an elliptical and started pumping. Ten minutes was all I could do day one, and I mean I was done in ten minutes. Wiped out. I kept at it 6 days a week. By the end of week two I could go 20 minutes and 30 by months end. 6-8 weeks in I could do 30-45 minutes at a hard pace. I began to do some body weight work at that point. Push ups, sit ups, air squats. In 90 days I had achieved pretty good results and then got back into weight lifting. The rest is history and I am now a lean, mean, fighting machine...for an old guy. LOL.
    My diet is not as strict, but I still eat no fast food, ever. No soda pop, ever, diet or otherwise. No juice drinks, apple, orange or anything else. Too much sugar in these drinks. They are not healthy. I eat and orange or apple if I want that. I drink no alcohol at all, but I haven't drank in 30+ years so that wasn't really a factor. For a social drinker I would limit intake in those first few months. I don't smoke. I don't use any other mind altering drugs, so I have no excuse for my craziness.:sneaky: Good luck. It's not that hard once you commit.

ubo and wrbtrader like this.
  10. all exercise is good for you

or, the exercise you actually do/or like is good for you

marc
    :cool:

#10     Jun 15, 2017