Low Volitility Stocks - How do you find them?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by label, Oct 3, 2009.

1. label

label

I am looking for low volitility stocks on the NYSE. Which software/websites could be used to screen for them?

Would you screen using beta value? or what else?

Thanks in advance.

2. You can use Average Trading Range (ATR) as a percent and/or dollar amount. I use CoolTrade and they have both as indicators.
    www.cool-trade.com

3. label

label

At the above site or elsewhere, can I set the range to 1 minute or 5 minutes (provided there were at least 14 trades in that time period)? I am looking for more than the daily or weekly ATR

Is there an online ATR Calculator (no download preferred) that can do this?

Thanks in advance.

4. Yes, you can pull up intraday ATR. However, there isn't a calculator for this.

5. TM1982

TM1982

Betas are usually a good indicator of what type of vol the name has. Under 1 and you're usually dealing with low vol, 1 to 1.25 usually has mid range vol, and higher betas will have higher vols.

Not always the case, but normally.

6. I also look for low vol to avoid them.

7. label

label

http://stockcharts.com/charts/

Has a daily and a weekly ATR. I thought they had a one where you could set the time period to whatever you want, say one minute or five minutes. This might be a feature for paid subscribers. So, if anyone who subscribes to it could check this out and confim it for me it would be greatly appreciated.

There must be another site out there that has this feature for free.

Thanks in advance.

Label.

8. Do you use an autotrader or another program?

9. nitro

nitro

Utilities.

10. Redneck

Redneck

#10     Oct 8, 2009