low trading volume continues

Discussion in 'Trading' started by silk, Sep 11, 2002.

1. nitro

nitro

Hmmm,

nitro

#11     Sep 11, 2002
  2. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

hehe ! I agree.
    if you are talking about this september. well, this week for me on some systems and operations. but likely due to low volume and 'wait and see' mood.
    I sure hope volume will be back next week. don't care about direction, just come back !

#12     Sep 11, 2002
  3. Have we really got several NYSE traders on one thread at the same time? Cool.

Yes, the volume is the pits. The floor owns the market right now. It's a brave new world, I suppose, so maybe old patterns will change, but I expect the order flow to come back, so I can get on with making a living.

Would my listed associates be willing to put in a paragraph that describes your style? Here's mine:

I'm not really a <i>scalper</i>, but I usually only hang on for the first push. When there's order flow it pays. When the order flow is slow, the floor owns the trade and it's basically a coin toss. Seems like position trading is about the only thing that works in those cases.

I watch around 120 stocks, and together they give me a feel for breadth and tone and whatever else you want to call it. I actually trade about 20 issues on the average day, and lately I've zeroed in on one or two that seem to make up most of my volume on a given day.

I dream of becoming a position trader. I regularly add size in active, real markets. I definitely want to trade commodities and currencies again.

#13     Sep 11, 2002
  4. Just so we are clear; 10.25 X 10.30, buying the 30 with less than the posted size, sits there for 30 to 60 seconds, they move the market to offered 35. no fill, and no fill on T/S that someone else got.

weird ...

#14     Sep 11, 2002
  5. me too. it happens literally dozens of times a day to me. Maybe more. Put the MKT in and get filled at .50, too, sometimes.

#15     Sep 11, 2002
  6. I think the NYSE people need a refresher course in the rulebook ...

#16     Sep 11, 2002
  7. that would be a good start! They might call it, "Rules, how to follow them," instead of, "Rules, how to get around them."

#17     Sep 11, 2002
  8. nitro

nitro

This does not happen to me.

What stocks do you have this happen to you in?

I trade huge stocks like GE, JPM, C, WMT, TGT, KO, HD, TXN, MU, FRE, FNM etc etc?? I never trade NASDAQ [rarely anyway - once in a while AMD against INTC] - if it doesn't trade a million minimum a day, I don't touch it.

nitro

#18     Sep 11, 2002
  9. That has been happening to me all the time for quite a while ...

#19     Sep 11, 2002
  10. Listed, NYSE; what symbols, I don't recall.

We just trade numbers; remember ...

#20     Sep 11, 2002