Low Latency Tick Feed less than $1,500 per month

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by rivercode, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Holmes

Holmes

micro second latency is complete bs.

the latency in ANY internet connection - if it is direct connection, fibre etc. is higher. You'll need to host your machine in the exchange and without too many hops if you wnat to take advantage. Then you will have th next problem of your broker. The broker will have to verify that you have sufficient in your account to make the trade and that is where the issue will start becoming complex. Database access is in the order of millisecond(s) the least.

Take this from a software / hardware acrhitect who audited the softw and hardware architecture of an exchange.

You want to make big money? Take lesson of Livermoore (and others): intraday dancing is great fun but it won't make you the (b)millions.

Sherlock

#31     Feb 9, 2009
  2. You are obviously not a "software engineer"...
    Since you imagine that processing terabytes of data...
    In real-time to be somehow trivial.

Myself... I've been trading full time for 15 years...
    So parsing data feeds is not my idea of a good time.

And if I needed this level of granularity...
    I would go MORE EXPENSIVE...
    And get an ** enterprise grade ** product from Thomson Reuters...
    Or one of their smaller, leading edge competitors.

The biggest flaw with the "whole NYSE data universe" model...
    Is that the NYSE is now, at best, 50% of trading volume...
    Every serious trader in the world...
    Trades off a Consolidated Quote...
    Which, at a minimum, consolidates NYSE, ARCA, Island, ISE, and several others.

Building a a commodity...
    Like real-time Consolidated Feed infrastructure in house from scratch...
    Is about as smart as designing/building a car from scratch in your garage.

One thing you guys should ALWAYS keep in mind...
    Geniuses simplify the world...
    And find creative shortcuts to solve problems...
    While merely intelligent people...
    Complicated the hell out of everything...
    And tend to cross the street via the North Pole...
    And do crazy shit like processing terabytes of data...
    In order to support of micro-margin black boxes.

I always view...
    The ** hard won simplicity ** of my trading systems as the genius part.

#32     Feb 10, 2009
  3. Euler

Euler

No feed is measured in terabytes in real time -- unless you're talking about terabytes/month or some such thing, which seems a strange measure to me (??).

But even if it were, so what? You're only talking about filtering symbols or quote/trade types you want, which really is trivial. Or am I misunderstanding you?

Good for you and your trading. But I suppose I must be somewhat more knowledgeable than one of your vaunted "Software Engineers" in understanding the difference between parsing and integrating an API. :D

NxCore offers consolidated equity quotes, as does pretty much every feed vendor (I know for sure that Activ, QuantHouse, Interactive Data, etc. do. I'll take your word on Thomson Reuters as I've never touched their API.)

I agree with a lot of what you say here. One only has to observe the huge number of top-tier PhD's who turn out to be mediocre (or worse) traders. But as for your apparent self-declaration of genius, I don't think I know enough one way or the other to offer an opinion :D

Good luck finding a data feed that suits your needs.

#33     Feb 11, 2009
  4. DD2 talks complete sense.

Holmes at al merely fantasizing about things they dont know. Like trading or software engineering.

Holmes - nobody uses databases to access margins. It is all in RAM and takes microseconds (same microseconds you and all other delusional neurotics from ET trying to laugh about)....

#34     Feb 2, 2010