Low-latency data feed and execution APIs

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by loopquantumgirl, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Thanks for the color on QH and ULLINK.

My experience is that it isn't difficult from a software development perspective to write feed handlers for (or an API for the protocols used at) every additional venue. But:

- The variable costs increase nonlinearly with each and this factored in, it's still an order of magnitude costlier to rely completely on an inhouse stack.
    - The main issue has to do with the opportunity cost-benefit analysis: a 7 digit expense on 3rd party software may seem better spent elsewhere, but a 6 month development time with a 7 digit expense is very expensive too.
    - As you've said, we have 'low-ish latency requirements', but low latency really isn't our competitive edge.

For these reasons, there's justification for relying on a 3rd party normalized feed or connection.

#31     Jul 22, 2013
  2. hoppla

hoppla

I didn't mean feedhandlers with my comment. I agree that if you don't have ultra low latency requirements then there's no need to write them yourself (and pretty boring too). I was referring to QH's product which seems to be geared towards backtesting where I just don't see any benefits from not building this in-house. Actually negatives only.

#32     Jul 22, 2013
  3. nitro

nitro

They are nowhere near boring. Writing ultra-low latency feed [and corresponding systems to take advantage] touches on al most every aspect of computer science.

I have seen 100 programmers try to write something that can scale at this level and 95 of them fail flat on their face.

#33     Jul 22, 2013
  4. hoppla

hoppla

Didn't mean to come across offensive. It's just not the area I am particularly interested in and also readily admit no expert knowledge especially when it comes to kernel level and hardware interfacing type stuff. But I can appreciate why some love it.

#34     Jul 22, 2013
  5. ofthomas

ofthomas

fair enough...

I went by this statement from you: "I haven't read too deep into the link you've provided but it doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for" ....

either way, I personally got stuck on the above bc I do deal with people like that in your position, that do not bother to review a solution or proposal properly and end up shutting down things because they lack understanding and knowledge...

as I read your prior statement again, I should have noticed this part: "My role with the budget is to reduce counter party risk, expand and improve on the existing infrastructure" ... that contained what you explained below...

and I don't use them for their back testing, or even data, but rather for their execution and proximity... for an individual like myself, much lower cost than if I had to co-locate at the venues I care about considering what i do for my personal account.

#35     Jul 22, 2013
  6. So, Did you end up picking RTS or ORC?

#36     Jul 24, 2013