Low-Carb Diet Can Cure Type-2 Diabetes

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Baron, Feb 20, 2018.

1. motif

motif

If you want to lose weight fast, go on a high protein, low carb diet. The pounds melt off.

#31     Feb 24, 2018
  2. I'm not a fan of James Krieger, who got owned by Ralph Carpinelli for his faulty meta-analysis on exercise. Therefore, I'm disinclined to use or regard him as a reference. However, let's look at the issue from another angle. You already agree that undesirable weight gain is the result of eating too much (calories in vs. calories out). Simple carbs do not satisfy hunger for long.

In fact, when the fad several years ago was to avoid fats at all costs, most people turned to carbs, and usually the bad kind. So they kept eating and got fat. As macronutrients go, fat and protein curb hunger nicely. So do good carbs, because of the naturally-occurring fiber content. But bad carbs - simple carbs like sugar, refined flour and so on - don't satisfy for any meaningful length of time. And so you'll be back scavenging in the kitchen sooner. And you will overeat. So whether or not you agree that insulin spikes are good or bad (I don't think they're good), the foods that cause them are also the ones that cause you to overeat. Therefore, we should at least arrive at the same practical conclusion from different directions.

#32     Feb 25, 2018
    Visaria likes this.
  3. #33     Feb 25, 2018
  4. I don't think that we can avoid insulin spikes after a meal, unless you cut out all carbs and all proteins. Not many people will be willing to do so. So it becomes important that the body responds properly to these insulin spikes. In other words: that it is sensitive to insulin. Going back to the starting point of this thread: type 2 diabetes patients often don't have sufficient insulin sensitivity. Improving their insulin sensitivity is an important tool to help them overcome the type 2 diabetes.

#34     Feb 25, 2018
    Visaria likes this.
  5. Please note that I distinguish between normal insulin release and insulin spikes, the latter of which are marked increases brought about by unfortunate food choices. Fat, protein and carbs all cause a release of insulin albeit in differing amounts. It is high-glycemic carbs (generally those with little or no fiber) that cause the most rapid and significant rise in blood sugar and, therefore, insulin: the spike. Let us not be too ham-handed about the distinction.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/carbohydrates-and-blood-sugar/

Absolutely. By definition.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    #35     Feb 25, 2018
  6. Visaria

Visaria

Did u know that bread has a higher glycaemic index value than sugar? Pretty sure there's more fibre in bread than in sugar.

#36     Feb 25, 2018
  7. At best, I'm assuming you are referring to bread made with refined flour where most of the fiber has been removed. Is there a lesson for me here?

#37     Feb 26, 2018
  8. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

I'm not sure about the word "cure" though. Even though insulin sensitivity may be heightened, I'm not sure it gets backs to a level that would indicate cured. If a person were to do this for a year and the do a glucose test and be back to normal within 2 to 3 hours, I would agree that they had been cured. Is there any info about that? --This seems to be more about controlling glucose and improving to be sure.

#38     Feb 27, 2018
  9. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

It is my view that most people need to be on Metformin, whether or not they have diabetes, to control blood sugar spikes and the liver's release of sugar. These can cause cardiovascular ( and other) complications.

#39     Feb 27, 2018
  10. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Correct. However the brain functions better on carbs.

#40     Feb 27, 2018