Low-Carb Diet Can Cure Type-2 Diabetes

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Baron, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Visaria

Visaria

Yes, but losing bodyfat automatically increases insulin sensitivity! So you can lose bodyfat any way u like, whether low carb high carb whatever, this tends to burn off visceral fat first and also increases insulin sensitivity, all of which leads to no more Type II diabetes.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    #21     Feb 23, 2018
  2. I love my carbs. But two things should be kept in mind. The first thing is that there should be an intelligent balance of macronutrients in a dietary regimen. Like most things in life, it's all about balance. The second thing is that carbs are a lot like TA: there's some good stuff that falls under its umbrella but there's also a lot of crap. It pays to avoid the crap. There's a lot of stuff that falls under the carb category that shouldn't even qualify as food. A good rule of thumb is to avoid carbs that don't have all of their naturally-occurring fiber.

#22     Feb 23, 2018
    Visaria likes this.
  3. First we have to clear some bad assumptions:

1. NO ONE said Zero Carbs

2. It has been repeated several times Fruits and Vegetables so it was already said that fibrous carbs are part of a healthy diet.

3. Protein and Fat do not raise blood sugar. Eat a sterak and test your blood sugar...eat a bowl of spaghetti and test your blood sugar. Sugar or non fibrous veg/fruits and carbs raise blood sugar levels and repeated spikes causes insensitivity which leads to pre-TYPE 2 diabetes symptoms and eventually Type 2. Reducing sugar intake is how your body can hopefully re-regulate its insulin reaction and reverse the issue.

4. THIS THREAD is addressing Type 2 diabetes. If you have Type 2 diabetes and think you can continue eating sugars and non-fibrous carbs as always, then it is not hard to understand how one got Type 2 to begin with.

This is not a carb debate thread, this is about Type 2 diabetes.

Also the science and nutrition has been clear for some time what leads to insulin insensitivity.

Also the statement that a high carb diet to lose weight will improve Type 2 diabetes is not fully accurate. Losing weight does not reverse Type 2, changing your diet does. If you keep your diet the same and simply reduce calories you can lose weight but that does not address insulin metabolic syndrome. Skinny people can get Type 2, it is about insulin sensitivity over time, not just something for fat people. Most people who lose weight to reverse Type 2 often cut out sugars and similar glycemic foods and improve fiber intake.

People who exercise regularly improve insulin sensitivity because it forces more insulin creation to shuttle glucose to your muscles. This is why many people with poor diets but work out regularly usually don't get Type 2 until they stop working out in their 50s.

Every diabetic I have known (type 2) has told me the same thing when I asked about diet, they had to cut back on sugars. Not fibrous carbs or most fruits, but sugar and simple starches.

#23     Feb 23, 2018
  4. Visaria

Visaria

Lots of incorrect info there mate.

Protein can and does raise blood glucose levels.

Repeated insulin spikes do not cause insensitivity. In fact, healthy people (e.g. non diabetes) have loads of repeated spikes.

Reducing sugar intake does not cure diabetes. Eating lots of sugar doesn't give you diabetes either.

Losing weight might not cure diabetes, losing fat (and putting some muscle) does.

People who have crap diets and stop working out usually gain fat and lose muscle which leads to metabolic syndrome diseases e.g. diabetes.

I'm an ex diabetic. I lost a ton of bodyfat, put a bit of muscle on and diabetes is gone.

#24     Feb 23, 2018
  5. While I agree that, for the most part, it's about calories in vs. calories out, I think it's a good thing to keep blood glucose levels on the steadier side. Insulin spikes might not make you fat (overeating does that), but they encourage fat storage. Insulin inhibits the breakdown of fat cells and stimulates the creation of body fat. So I think it's a good thing to avoid insulin spikes. In any event good carbs have naturally occurring fiber, which blunts the insulin response.

#25     Feb 23, 2018
  6. wjk

wjk

What are your thoughts on this diet? Seems like there may be similarities...maybe more of a controlled type of carb diet than strictly low, but interesting anyway.

https://dietofhope.org/

I know someone on this diet, and they are getting good results.

#26     Feb 23, 2018
  7. I can't really see on his website how this diet is structured, what it entails.
    Funny to see how he had to modify his biography on his website:

#27     Feb 23, 2018
  8. wjk

wjk

I'll have to pick my relative's brain some more. I didn't realize Gann's site wasn't more detailed. I know that my relative tells me that he has to limit certain types of carbs, and counts his carbs in units (I think his unit is 15g).

I joke with him about the "diet of hope". I tell him that it's called that because he hopes his wife doesn't catch him cheating on the diet (beer and chips, for example)! :D

He really has lost a lot of weight, though. I'll provided more details next week after I get a chance to talk to him again. I would be remiss not to wonder if this particular doctor is a trader, and uses a certain technical market indicator.:)

#28     Feb 23, 2018
  9. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. I can't really tell what the diet is based upon that website.

#29     Feb 24, 2018
  10. Visaria

Visaria

Incorrect knowledge of insulin and its role.

Try this:

https://weightology.net/insulin-an-undeserved-bad-reputation/

#30     Feb 24, 2018