Louisiana Passes Rules Implementing Historic Academic Freedom Act

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Teleologist, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Louisiana Passes Rules Implementing Historic Academic Freedom Act

Anika Smith

The Louisiana Board of Elementary and Secondary Education (BESE) voted unanimously to adopt rules today implementing the Louisiana Science Education Act (LSEA), the landmark academic freedom bill passed last summer.

The rules approved by the BESE effectuate the academic freedom bill’s purpose to allow teachers to use supplementary materials to teach controversial scientific theories without threat of recrimination.

A subcommittee of the Board removed a provision prohibiting intelligent design before passing the rules unanimously. The legally redundant provision would have gone beyond the intent of the legislation and was dropped after the subcommittee heard testimony from supporters and opponents of the language.

In adopting these rules, the BESE reiterated its support for academic freedom for teachers to teach controversial scientific theories.

According to Discovery Institute education policy analyst Casey Luskin, “This is another victory for Louisiana students and teachers to have a climate of academic freedom to learn about scientific controversies over evolution and other topics in the curriculum.”

Several Louisiana scientists testified in favor of academic freedom of evolution-education, including biologist Wade Warren, biochemist Brenda Peirson, and chemistry professor Joshua Williams.

Louisiana biology teacher Patsy Peebles testified in favor of the language prohibiting intelligent design. When she falsely claimed that ID had been banned by the U.S. Supreme Court, attorney John Wells corrected her, reminding the BESE that the Supreme Court has not ruled on intelligent design.

Stay tuned to Evolution News & Views for more as the story develops.

http://www.evolutionnews.org/

2. Intelligent design is neither science nor a scientific theory and should therefore not be taught in a science classroom. Rather, it should be taught in World History, Social Studies, or, if they have it, a philosophy course.

3. Ah, yes, Louisiana. The epicenter of learning and knowledge, and at the forefront of scientific achievement.

Hint: If it's science, then it should not be limited to elementary and secondary education levels. What about university scientific research centers, where the bill would be laughed out of existence, or at least back into the bayou where it belongs?

4. Ah, yes, Louisiana. The epicenter of learning and knowledge, and at the forefront of scientific achievement.
    ----------------------

:D :D :D

That's exactly what I was thinking, then I scroll down and you posted the words right out of my keynoard (that's keyboard for ya'll yankee's).

5. I used to life in louiesana.
    The motto for the State Bored of Edukations was and stil is now:

"Thank God for Mississippi"

Seneca

6. ================
    Sen Rom;

I found it a bit amusing, many of them call it ''the beautiful bayou''- looks more like a muddy swamp. Great for swamp ducks,
    which were created not evolved. LOL:D Like thier LA gov.

My Mom lives in Mississippi, she has her PHD[fron TN]LOL
    Thank God for Miss.

7. maxpi

maxpi

Well shit, when you've proven evolution by peer reviewed experiments, let us know... until then it's pure speculation...

8. Why does it not surprise me that a skeptic of climate change is also a skeptic of evolution. Meawhile, it's oh so easy to connect the dots pointing to a Grand Creator. No "pure speculation" there, eh? :D

9. The evidence for evolution is overwhelming: it simply is the best explanation for what is known in the fossil record about the historical development of life.

The evidence for evolution, though, is not just from the past.

If you ask nicely enough, and exhibit an open mind, I'll explain some more.

10. =======================
    Good scientific & speculation point, Max.

Any good trader knows the 2nd law of thermodynamics applies to science & trading;
    hot cools down.

Things break down by themselves with time;
    evolution pretends they evolve into more complex things. As if a GM car gets better with time, out in the weather.:D

And as far as freedom & teaching creation/Genesis 1, or evolution only;
    pretty thin coin with only one side isn't it????????????????:D

#10     Jan 17, 2009