Lou Dobbs on "Population Explosion" in the United States.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SouthAmerica, Aug 22, 2008.

1. .

GTS: Do you realize what a pompus ass you sound like?

August 22, 2008

SouthAmerica: Yes, but I got your attention.

Rifkin’s book the “End of Work” was published in 1995, and a second edition came out in 2000.

I am quoting his book from memory, but he mentioned in the book that in 2000 the government at all levels had replaced only 5 percent of jobs that they could have replaced with technology up to that point in time and there were 95 percent of governmental jobs that still could have been replaced by the technology that was available at that time.

There are a lot more jobs in the US economy that could be replaced by technology today than most people realized.

I recommend that you read Rifkin’s book because he does a great job explaining the entire process of job creation and job losses in the economy.

I did read “The End of Work” more than once since that book makes a lot of sense to me.

FerdinanddAlx: There's something wrong with a country if it starts to view its people as liabilities rather than assets. That's what I see.

SouthAmerica: At the end of the day economic theory applies even to human beings.

An over supply of people makes human life to lose its value and you don’t have to look any further than in India. I remember seeing a program on television about Calcutta and about the poverty in that end of the world.

One of the parts of the program that I never forgot was the part that they showed a cart that used to come around once a week to collect the bodies of the people who had died and stayed on the side walks for days until this cart came to collect their dead bodies.

They had such an over supply of very poor people that human beings became just a piece of trash to be picked up during the weekly garbage collection. It did not matter when you had died the body just stayed lying on the place where the person had died for days at the time until they finally came around to collect the dead bodies.

I hate to say that but people with your mindset are the people that let population explosions get out of control and most of the time the result is a nasty civil war that starts when people start fighting to secure a piece of the scarce resources that are available.

Overpopulation was one of the causes of the explosion of Rwanda into a nasty civil war in the 1990’s since in a short period of time the population of that country had increased by 400 percent – the result was a nasty civil war and genocide.

We already have water problems in a number of areas across the United States and that problem is getting worse by the year.

I guess Americans can learn to live without water as other people live in other parts of the world.

If Americans want to turn the United States into another India then I just go back to my country Brazil.

Only yesterday when Mahatma Gandhi still alive in 1948 the total population of India was 348 million people and 60 years later the population is over 1.1 billion people. Forget about quality of life in a country so overcrowded.

If that is the quality of life that Americans want then I hope they can get it – and turn the United States into a very large ghetto.

#31     Aug 22, 2008
  2. GTS

GTS

Someone running naked through the streets gets my attention too but I wouldn't listen to anything they have to say.

A worthless comment that could never be refuted because (a) you don't define "a lot" and (b) no one knows what "most people" realize (including you)

Your original post with its an actual figure (75%) was factually incorrect.

An intellectually honest person would admit this mistake. A naked fool running down the street would of course not.

PS: Don't worry some day you too can master HTML, in the meantime you can just keep using rows of asterisks.

#32     Aug 22, 2008
  3. .

SouthAmerica; Reply to GTS

If make you feel a little better - I know how to use the quote bottom.

#33     Aug 22, 2008
  4. GTS

GTS

Oh? Just too lazy to use it then?

#34     Aug 22, 2008
  5. A situation you describe as 'oversupply' only occurs if a large amount of people are restricted from participating in the creation of wealth. This doesn't mean that there is an oversupply of people but an underutilization of their capacity to live prosperous lifes. India has inherited the law of Manu and its caste system which by rule of birth restricts a large portion of their population from contributing anything meaningful towards economic progress. The same holds true for Rwanda, where people belonging to certain tribes were barred from public functions and leadership roles in the country's business life.

Ghettos do not form as a natural response to population growth, but are the result of the forceful exclusion of a class of people from a society.

Population growth in wealthy nations is far lower than that of developing countries. The reason is that people can afford effective birth control, do not have to overcompensate because of high child mortality rates and aren't dependant on their children to provide for them in their old age.

Europe, Canada, Taiwan, South-Korea and Japan all have stable populations. The United States would have a stable population too if it weren't for immigration. The large amount of illegal immigrants living inside US borders is worrying, since it excludes a large number of people from society. By promoting illegal immigration through lax enforcement America has essentially created a sub-class of people with no rights or means to advance to any meaningful position in society. The formation of ghettos in the US is pretty much a result of bad public policy.

#35     Aug 22, 2008
  6. indexer

indexer

Don't forget offshoring and outsourcing which take away a lot of jobs from people in the US.

#36     Aug 22, 2008
  7. RhinoGG

RhinoGG Guest

#37     Aug 22, 2008
  8. IMO, counterpoint to FerdinandAlx.

lj

#38     Aug 22, 2008
  9. jem

jem

First off it is democratic dick heads like teddy kennedy who caused these problems - their immigration policies were designed to bring in more potential democratic voters.

It is the same reason why democrats in CA sponsored all the give aways to illegal aliens. Those aliens make citizens who vote for dems.

The people are not sheeple the politicians are corrupted.

Almost every single family with kids in elementary school knows the source of the problem. We have a 20 billion dollar budget deficit in the state of CA and 10-14 billion is spent edcuating the children of illegal aliens. (now think about how much we spend in hospitals and jails.)

Which I do not mind - if that is our choice. But what does bother me is that some of the teachers have no idea who to teach the kids who speak english well and the kids who don't at the same time.

As i have said many times before I like mexicans. I just wish we had a coherent policy regarding what we want and spent our tax dollars appropriately.

#39     Aug 22, 2008
  10. .
    August 23, 2008

SouthAmerica: Reply to Jem

I don’t blame the Mexicans regarding what has been happening about immigration of Mexicans to the United States in the last 15 years. We had a massive immigration of Mexicans to the United States as a direct result of NAFTA.

NAFTA turned out to be a terrible agreement for the Mexican farmers and thousands and thousands of Mexican farmers were put out of business because of NAFTA. (The US government heavily subsidizes American farming, and that gives them a major advantage against the Mexican farmers and slowly they pushed the Mexican farmers out of business.)

When a massive number of Mexican farmers lost their way of making a living (which also affected in a negative way the local economy where all these people were living) then millions of Mexicans decided to head North to the United States on their pursue of a job and a way to make a living.

The Mexican economy did not have the capacity to absorb all these people who were displaced as a result of the NAFTA agreement.

Today Americans are complaining that all these Mexicans moved to the United States illegally, but not a single person ever talk about that NAFTA was one of the major reasons why so many Mexicans had to come to the United States.

I posted this information about California before on this forum - regarding California’s “Brain Dead Strategy”:

Quoting part of the thread as follows:

“In the early 1970’s California had one of the best educational systems in the country – from the early 1970’s to the middle 1990’s a period covering over 25 years – California did not build a single new university, but during the same time they built 25 new prisons to incarcerate their poor population – By the year 2000 California was in the bottom of the states in the rankings related to education – that decline in quality was a direct result of the “Brain Dead” strategy being used by most states in the US in the last 30 years.

Today we have a global economy and you don’t have to be a Rocket Scientist to figure out that the “Brain Dead” strategy will have a massive impact in the US in future years – This time will not be California alone that will be going to the bottom – it will be the US as a country.

I have been aware of this trend for at least 10 years (when I spent months and months studying that subject for a chapter of my book) and at the same time this is going on there is no debate happening on in the United States on this subject - if this is the right way to go and continue investing heavily federal and states resources in that area of the US economy.”

You can read the entire information at:

The New United States Retirement System
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1080387&highlight=California#post1080387

#40     Aug 23, 2008