Lots of monitors just to show off?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chris Watts, Jul 18, 2003.

1. I think anyone who has the guts to put themselves out there to try to make a living as a trader is anything but a piker.

#51     Jul 21, 2003
  2. You're damn right Pete.

Some are also dreamers, gamblers, pretenders, wannabe's...

~Scientist :cool:

#52     Jul 21, 2003
  3. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

With all due respect to all the "I need ten monitors" people .....

(1) Even in the largest arb/hedge shops I have worked for the best people did not need all of the information screens: just a few and 4 was usually the upper limit unless there was some exceptional need.

(2) Its pretty well researched and understood that people really cant work reliably with more than about 4 sources of information - greatly diminishing returns start at three - four sources.

Of course If you make big bucks and believe that you need a wall of information surrounding you to make money then go ahead and spend it: its a cheap pacifier.

#53     Jul 21, 2003
  4. Succinctly put, CalTrader! Pacifiers indeed!

#54     Jul 21, 2003
  5. in an ideal world, a wall of monitors would suit me fine.

best,

surfer :) :)

#55     Jul 21, 2003
  6. ElCubano

ElCubano

my set up....

#56     Jul 21, 2003

7. elcubano,

what does the bloomberg cost you per month ??

thanks !

surfer:)

#57     Jul 21, 2003
  8. nitro

nitro

This simply does not follow. There are traders that need NO monitors - they are floor traders.

I have no problem keeping three monitors in my line of vision. I could trade one strategy on three easily. As soon as you start doing more than one strategy, I have found that segregating the information helps me to compartilize [how the hell do you spell that word?] the information flow.

nitro

#58     Jul 21, 2003
  9. prox

prox

This is a country of excesses.. bigger, newer, faster. There doesn't need to be a logical reason to get things.

#59     Jul 21, 2003
  10. nitro

nitro

Compartmentalize.

As I get older, I seem to have more problems remembering names and remember how to spell things.

I hope it is not early Alzheimers :eek:

Now, what was it that I meant to say?

nitro :mad:

#60     Jul 21, 2003