Lots of monitors just to show off?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chris Watts, Jul 18, 2003.

1. what are translucent windows (obviously windows you can see through)? can we get a screenshot or something??

#41     Jul 20, 2003
  2. Party Animal,

Attached is a sample of a translucent chart over your post.

Personally, I find it a bit distracting. A bit negative side affect is that translucency uses a lot of CPU.

It is available on Windows 2000 and Windows XP systems.

#42     Jul 20, 2003
  3. thx for the pic. i can see clearly now.

not that i plan on using it, but how do you do it? i'd like to try it out if it's simple to do. i have win xp pro.

#43     Jul 20, 2003
  4. QuoteTracker has the option available in the right click menu on the caption of most windows. Other programs have that as well. There are also programs that let you set translucency on any window I think. may want to check www.download.com

#44     Jul 20, 2003
  5. Looks like I gotta put in a hard word here again... Hey Folks, Wake up!

So many ppl here with so many monitors... 8, 12, 14...? And less isn't appropriate? :confused:

I traded at a different place recently, with CRT's, two one of them burnt, I was left to trade with my old 15"TFT monitor.

I successfully traded the ES, NQ full-time on that 15" monitor for 3 months straight.

I had running:

-IB TWS, Futures-Trader
    -eSignal with its various charts and windows (pop-outs are great)

-Trillian (if you're still using MSN Messenger / ICQ / IRC / Y! you're a lamer by the way)
    -Outlook
    -Firewall (ZAP is the best)
    -IE6 and
    -WinAmp3 for musical accompaniment.

Most of these programs use -minimal- system resources and tend not to share pagefile routines etc. and aren't likely to cause any trouble, except for eSignal, Outlook and IE (MS is the king of crap)

I ran (and still run) a single-CPU 2.6 MHz Athlon, with 120, 80, 40GB HDD and 1,024MB RAM (and a few mods hehe).

Trading was fine. Never before could I focus so much on what I was doing. I had my trading/scalping platform slightly overlapping when considering trades, while having eSignal up full most of the time, zapping between the windows (ALT+TAB) in real time with no delays if necessary.

Full control, no problems, one(1) monitor, fine.

I sincerely, and I mean -sincerely- believe that if you can't trade with one monitor, you're lame already and your chances of trading successfully -decrease- with any additional monitor. Start small, then upgrade if you really need to.

Regarding all that other stuff - ADSL broadband etc blabla is must bla bla... WTF? :confused:

In my current remote beach-suburb residence here I get 28.8K if I'm lucky. Often ~15K is what I'm getting.

It works fine for Trading. The data transmission required is fully sufficient for effective scalping, financial data takes minimum bandwidth.

If you want to argue any of these specs, go right ahead. I've been hacking all my life and know what happens how. I've set up networks at age 15 and I've set up, worked and traded on 12-monitor stations. If you're being told 500 monitors and a T1-connection are required for succesful trading, you're being sold something by somebody. It's all set up that way by consumer society. All you're really doing is depriving yourself of trading returns by drawing on them. Remember, "ROI" if so to speak, is deductive of all business expenses.

Besides, you're limiting yourself in an uncomfortable sort of way. If you can't trade with 1 monitor and a 28.8K connection, then how can you travel the world and trade from your laptop?
    If you can't what's the point in the "freedom" of DAT for a living?

Look at how Nicholas Darvas traded, for dollars sakes.
    Many people, today, still call their broker to trade SP contracts for Intraday Trading. Some of them very big traders. I can do it, no worries. Takes longer even than with a 4800 baud connection. What's the point here?

Talking of "pikers" that don't want to afford big equipment : Well man you're a sad case. You've probably never traded successfully. Buy yourself a muscle car if you need to pull chicks or sth. If you want, you can fly over here and see how a "piker" lives and what kind of car a "piker" drives etc. Get a grip man are you in for happiness or are we just talking about money here? How sad! :eek:

Here a little fact for a little piker like you, "Mr Piker-Hater"
    If you save yourself $500 a month in datafeeds, monitors, high-tech gear, super-broadband, whatever stuff you're throwing your money out the window for, you're not only contributing to all our misery by enrichening the consumer sharks, corporations etc and effectively destroying our planet and our children's future (thank you very much btw), no you're also depriving yourself of a higher-equity future;

$500/month = $6,000/year = $1,019,970.00 over 10 years (@ a mere potential cumulative 50% annual return)

I bet that you, Mr. Piker-Hater are the biggest piker of all. You ain't got that million $, yet, either.

Bloomberg Terminal??? LMAO! That's for Fund Managers who don't know how to offset all their tax liabilities!
    Don't you guys know that systems like TradeStation and eSignal have long outperformed Bloomberg? You should look at the stats and how their data routing works, rather than looking at prices for "sales gimmicks". Please don't be a victim.

By the way, I've never had a system crash in 2 years (WinXP- doesn't crash!), I use Norton SystemWorks, fixes all problems. I often run my systems for months without reboot, my brokerage software etc has never dropped out / failed in these 2 years.

Arguments for line reliability, 2nd phoneline to get out of positions etc are also again completely redundant;
    If I am worried about my position, I use another broker to put a hedge straight away. I can go to bed after that if I want to.
    Knowledge is power. Please don't confuse and milk newbies with all this crap, seriously.

You guys, everybody:
    -Don't be a "Victim Consumer" - Eliminate Redundancy
    -Use Protection (Firewall, encrypted Secure Tunneling)
    -RELAX!
    -K.I.S.S!

Yours Sincerely,
    ~The Scientist :cool:

#45     Jul 20, 2003
  6. Fundamentally agree with Fast_Trader. Same thing here.

Multiple monitors I only use to show off. Looks nice in my office.

We are both driving flash silver sports cars, too. I guess we're style-oriented people. I like my office to be stylish. It's also representative for my businesses. Probably same for Fast_Trader who runs an IT biz.

But for Trading? NO! 1-2 monitors are enough for a decent Trader. 1 laptop is best, so you can travel. -See post above.

~Scientist :cool:

#46     Jul 20, 2003
    #47     Jul 20, 2003
  8. When you are gone, they each place 5 of them face up in a
    +
    formation, then run a program so that one lights up at a time... And they practice dance moves.

They are trying to get 9 each so that they can form squares :D

PS,
    If you have lots of monitors you don't have to worry about backlight, since they cover your full field of vision :)

#48     Jul 20, 2003

9. that is COOL , thanks for the tip !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

surfer:)

#49     Jul 20, 2003
  10. I trade with 8 lcds..I even brought 2 ergotron stands worth

$500 each to hold them together..I run 4 pc together between

the 8 lcd for redundancy..

If you trade for a living and REALLY making a living out of it,

then the monetary aspect shouldn't bother you at all..

you can recover in seconds on a large trade.

You stand to lose a lot more in 0.5 nanoseconds while you are

"alt-tab"ing and you miss the trade..

the edge of daytraders lies in his speed

, maximizing that edge by

improving hardware is probably the cheapest and most cost-

effective thing you can do..

it has happen to me many times when I am having many positions

on..

#50     Jul 21, 2003