Lost 7 trades in a row this week, how often will this happen again?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by metatrader54, Oct 11, 2019.

1. DevBru

DevBru

7 is nothing, make sure you can handle more because one day it will happen.

#11     Oct 11, 2019
  2. Yeap, happy it did, learning from it.

#12     Oct 11, 2019
    Nobert likes this.
  3. 23.... how did you feel?

I might have thought system stops working from this point on even though I have backtest data if I lost 23... that would take some time to recover..

#13     Oct 11, 2019
  4. %%
    WHEN I 1st started trading =a lot more than 3 0r 4 /weeK LOL=far worse than random.
    HOW often does that happen now?? Never, because @ my first loss=its almost always a trend change; +early for trend followers is such a risk, i seldom take an early trade.
    BUT having noted that, a loss is a business exspence+ NO such thing as a business without expences.................................................................................................................And I know of some in CA- they wish they had electric exspence.........................

#14     Oct 11, 2019
  5. bone

bone

I would always cut my size way back after two losing trades in a row. Then, once I had two winning trades in a row I would restore my bet size. In other words, I wanted to make sure that a market condition that could possibly persist hadn't screwed up my trading system.

From my experience - from time to time you will have to make adjustments within your trading system and your position sizing simply because market conditions are always evolving.

The "good 'ole days" are always a fleeting and temporary proposition. You do have to adjust and evolve if you want to stay in the game.

#15     Oct 11, 2019
    shatteredx, Nobert, comagnum and 2 others like this.
  6. I always thought these 10+ or 20+ straight losses were just a myth or something that happens in theory. But damn, even risking 1% which what I am doing now has made me taken quite a decent chunk off my account, it's less than 10% but still, there's a hole.

Going to be trading 1% still so no worries, will be recovering with controlled risk.

How do you guys calculate % gains? In terms of month or weeks or even annually? I've almost never been negative at the end of the weeks so want to know how others have done. I take 4-6 trades per week only though.

#16     Oct 11, 2019
    murray t turtle likes this.
  7. %%
    Yes, per trade/investment,
    weeks %;
    month, ,
    YTD,
    year,
    52 weeks+ dividends, if they pay 'em%:cool::cool:,:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

#17     Oct 11, 2019
  8. SunTrader

SunTrader

Ever hear of take care of your losers, the winners will take care of themselves?

#18     Oct 11, 2019
  9. SunTrader

SunTrader

Just looking at winning and losing streaks is of limited value - I think the most I ever lost in a row is somewhere around 5 or 6. Trading timeframe, time in trade, reward/risk (for most, not I, who concern themselves with that), capital used, tolerance, etc all need to be considered to make a judgment.

#19     Oct 11, 2019
    murray t turtle likes this.
  10. Turveyd

Turveyd

Losing streaks don't worry me, news spike past SL last week cost me 7x's SL on 1 trade, blew straight through, nearly doubled up position aswell that would of hurt.

#20     Oct 11, 2019