Lost 5000 bucks on a FAT Finger mistake

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by silent creature, Aug 1, 2007.

1. 5k...

cheap lesson...

last week 20k on a fat finger....

and 30 minutes of sheer terror...

shit happens....

i do feel your pain...

but...you do know who to blame....gremlins...:eek:

#11     Aug 1, 2007
  2. sorry to hear about your error.

however, trade confirm buttons are for wimps.

you'll get it back!

surf

#12     Aug 1, 2007
  3. MattF

MattF

I blame the market...it's always their fault ;)

#13     Aug 1, 2007
  4. S2007S

S2007S

Im down 2k on a position I went long on 2 weeks ago, bought more shares than I wanted too, holding until it comes back......

#14     Aug 1, 2007
  5. sorry on your loss, what were you trading?

#15     Aug 1, 2007
  6. swinger

swinger

I think anyone who has been trading for any length of time has made a mistake like this at some point.

#16     Aug 1, 2007
  7. GTS

GTS

Actually if you meant to enter the opposite order then didn't you really lose $10k (if you include the $5k you would have made if you had done the opposite)?

#17     Aug 1, 2007
  8. 500 share of rimm last friday at 224 before it took the big swan dive. Of course the trade was for short but fat-fingered long. kept smiling as it dove and dove until I got curious with the P&L screen and then about threw up. Sold....then sickeningly watched it climb back towrds the initial idiotic entry Monday and Tuesday. Kid can go to community college I guess! (joking). :)

Having one helluva hard time pulling the trigger on anything today.

Edit: Thursday puke and sell, not Friday

#18     Aug 1, 2007
  9. I did the same thing yesterday as the OP, but for less of a loss. What % of the time would you say those types of errors actually net you a gain? For me, it's still 0%!

#19     Aug 1, 2007
  10. lescor

lescor

You trade long enough, you'll make every error in the book. It's just the law of averages. You think you can execute 10, 50 or 100,000 trades over the years and not make mistakes?

I could probably retire on all the money lost to mistakes over the last 5 years. It's part of the business, curse and punch something, then let it go.

#20     Aug 1, 2007