Losses just aren't that bad. Even long strings of them.

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by jnbadger, Apr 12, 2022.

1. jnbadger

jnbadger

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
    #21     Apr 12, 2022
  2. smallfil

smallfil

We have no control over how much we can make when we win. That is the reality of it. Nobody can predict how far a stock will run up to. On the flip side, we have control over our losses, 90% of the time atleast. Small losses can be recouped with one large win. My win rate is 30-40% and I am fine with that. What has hurt my profitability is when I allow small losses to turn into large losses. Avoid the large losses and winning and earning monies is that much easier. Also, those large losses eat into your profits.

#22     Apr 12, 2022
  3. jnbadger

jnbadger

I can only imagine the word he used. Lol!

#23     Apr 12, 2022
  4. jnbadger

jnbadger

Yes. As I stated in another thread, you just don't know how far they're going to go when you are in the money. I learned the hard way that it can actually be frightening when you get out of a trade too early, and it could have been the best trade of the year. THAT IS PAINFUL.

#24     Apr 12, 2022
  5. SunTrader

SunTrader

Was referring to w/l rate. Only.

#25     Apr 12, 2022
    jnbadger likes this.
  6. smallfil

smallfil

It is worst when that trade runs up huge, just after you sell it. My big winner, BKKT last year, I made huge gains however, when the market closed, I could have made 300% more profits had I waited to sell atleast, 1 hour before the close of the market that day. I sold middle of the day thinking, profit taking will take it lower. Boy, was I very wrong. It was one of those windfall profits type of trade too.

#26     Apr 12, 2022
  7. TheDawn

TheDawn

First of all, you need to focus more on your trading. Trading is a business regardless whether you trade to manage other people's money or you trade for yourself and it requires 100% of your concentration so you shouldn't be concerned about some freaking sirens going off let alone checking some scanner radios. When you are trading, the whole world should disappear from your senses and you should nothing about everything related to your trading in front of you.

Second, regarding your losses, the only way you will be comfortable with your losses would be if you are absolutely confident, without a shadow of a doubt that the next win will always be able to cover all of your losses, no matter how many and no matter how large. If you are, then you shouldn't be questioning any of your abilities or your judgment. The fact that you still are makes me feel that you are not that confident in your trading strategy and that the mathematical game is not that guaranteed to always net you a winner.

Imo, you should go back to backtest your strategy more and ignore the sirens and the helicopters.

#27     Apr 13, 2022
  8. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

some people hit lots of singles, others aim for home runs. Both can make it to the hall of fame.

#28     Apr 13, 2022
    ondafringe likes this.
  9. SunTrader

SunTrader

Unless they are someone who has bet on their own team. ;)

#29     Apr 13, 2022
  10. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

they’re just short selling

#30     Apr 13, 2022