Losing motivation - the daily grind

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by dumbgai, Apr 17, 2008.

1. that's all fun and games, but one thing you can't change is

THAT I CALLED OP A LIAR

NOT YOU

where were you sweetie, late to the party

or did you actually believe like the rest of morons here that OP is tired of making money on the market

grow up little man :cool:

#21     Apr 19, 2008
  2. lol what is the point, to become insane like u?

u could not even spot more than one liar even if he OR she was standing right in front of u

go find a blunt knife, and I don’t know cut off what is left of u

#22     Apr 19, 2008
  3. thank you I will

and yes growing up means going insane

but look on the bright side, it also means making money, something you presently can't do

#23     Apr 19, 2008
  4. hehe

#24     Apr 19, 2008
  5. Simple answer. Quit. Jack it in. If you have not made or cannot make, your fortune trading, do something else - something you like.

Ask yourself, without natural and strong motivation, that is innate motivation, in you, then as part of the human species of which you are a member, is there any earthly life at all?

#25     Apr 19, 2008
  6. A somewhat relatable situation to yourself, except for the question mark about aging. :eek:

After near 3 years trading full-time I've recognized signs of burn-out. If I sleep through the opening bell it's OK. Use this strat today, that strat tomorrow. OK honey, I'll go with you, we'll grab some lunch too, it's noon, no problem.

I have no intention or desire to "quit". But I do seem to have lost the excitement of the day to day unknown . Not to sound ostentatious, but perhaps this is what happens when you get it. Up down, sideways, narrow, wide; it doesn't matter. The tool chest has tools to support your style of trade, and you know it. Not only do you know it, you OWN it.

That said, right now, I am banking my earnings and will be taking a six-month sabbatical starting in July. My attempt at nipping it (burn-out) in the bud

Osorico :)

#26     Apr 19, 2008
  7. 30 years of full time trading has taught me a few things:

Take time off when needed.

Keep a social life.

Find a hobby.

Don't take everything really seriously.

Exercise your body.

Jeff

#27     Apr 19, 2008
  8. Well Jeff, you've got me beat by 9 years, but for what it's worth:

time off? yep, do it in huge hunks.

Social life? not so important for trading specifically. Its important for any career.

I take almost nothing seriously. Certainly not myself.

Exercise? Absolutely. I am middle aged now, and sports is just a important as ever. seems to help trading also; however, i do not know why.

I've often thought of doing other things as well, but i've done this so long, I am probably unemployable!

#28     Apr 19, 2008
  9. After my pretty long run, I know I would be unemployable, and my clerks would be in deep shit if I ever went belly up. Oh well, someone's gotta be the hamster running the wheel to keep it going.

Jeff :)

#29     Apr 19, 2008
  10. Get out of the house after trading. Go work out, have sex and/or see some sights, but do not expect your mental health to be normal if you both live and trade in the same structure without some relief to your mind, soul and body.

Plan your vacations around three-day weekends so you don't have to lug the laptop around and find broadband hookups when you're supposed to be vacationing. Take some time off, leave the damned thing at home and have fun AWAY from the computer. Experience talking.

I agree wholeheartedly with previous posts about exercise... DAILY exercise. Nobody needs to lecture about where the fat collects while we're all staring at the monitors, but when trading is done for the day, get up and burn some calories. Boxing, racketball, swimming and basketball are my outlets. For others it is mountain climbing, biking or karate. Just don't hurt your trading fingers or dull your eyes. Other than than, it's fair game.

If you're <b>still</b> bored after getting active away from home and taking muliple vacations, then it might be time to consider other career options. But honestly, I would not be willing to go back to work. Three hours a day is enough for me.

#30     Apr 29, 2008