Losing more than you invested

Discussion in 'Forex Brokers' started by s-dot, Dec 13, 2005.

1. RefcoFX thinks that's too low. They like to see 100% of their Forex traders to fail.

#11     Dec 13, 2005
  2. #12     Dec 13, 2005
  3. #13     Dec 14, 2005
  4. skepticaltrader

skepticaltrader Guest

This 50 pip stop loss that I'm speaking of really only applies to swing trading and If you can't be by the computer to watch your position all the time.

If you're jumping into a position after a fundamental announcement then yes you don't really need a stop at all because your just riding the momentum, but IMO, if you hold a position over 24 hours you need some type of stop. This is only used in case of a catasrophic incident.

I try to use money management when trading Forex so even if I did place a 100 pip stop loss, its not going to liqidate my account.

#14     Dec 14, 2005
  5. skepticaltrader

skepticaltrader Guest

I don't know of any broker who will allow you to fund your account with a credit card. You could send them a check from the bank who issues you your credit card, but that check doesn't have your credit card info on it so there is no way they could deduct any money from your credit card account.

All these brokers have it built into their trading platform that when you fall below your Margin requirements your position(s) will be closed out.

#15     Dec 14, 2005
  6. skepticaltrader

skepticaltrader Guest

I think that statement applies to Forex traders who can't make a living from it.

#16     Dec 14, 2005

7. Lots of Forex brokers allow credit cards, including FXCM. A 80 pip gap against you over the weekend (EUR/USD a few months ago) will not trigger your stops or margin requirements and could cause a negative balance. Example:

* $1000 account balance at 200:1 leverage.
    * 150k lot open ($750.00)
    * - 80 pip weekend gap = - $1200.00
    * Account now at - $200.00

#17     Dec 14, 2005
  8. skepticaltrader

skepticaltrader Guest

You're right. I just checked FXCM's website and they are allowing investors/traders to fund their account with a credit card. I still don't think they can withdraw money from your credit card without your approval. Its probably best not too fund your account with a credit card anyway. Its best to give a broker as little information as possible.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. That's the first time I've seen a broker allowing someone to fund their account with a credit card.

#18     Dec 14, 2005
  9. #19     Dec 14, 2005

10. Wow. I wish FXCM has that in their agreement.

Actually, it dosn't much matter to me.

I don't trade on low equity. And I think those who do will loose their shirts in the end. FOREX markets spike to much for low equity trades and tight stop losses.

#20     Dec 14, 2005