Losing money on day trading

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by alosito, Mar 8, 2006.

1. SteveD

SteveD

I thought "wash sale" only applied over two tax years.

If you sell a stock that has a loss on Dec 26 and buy it back on Jan 2 is a violation of the 'wash sale" rule. The IRS reasoning would be you have taken the loss only for tax purpose as you had some gains you wanted to off-set or protect. But if you immediately buy it back you have re-established your long term position but have taken a "loss" for tax purposes

This is what Kirk Kerkorian did with a portion of his GM stock. Sold some in Dec but could not buy it back until 30 days after his sale, which he did.

Hopefully someone can clarify this as I am not positive I am correct.

SteveD

#11     Mar 12, 2006
  2. I find that rule very very confusing. What I thought was right has been contradicted by another poster here. I can buy his explanation too.

Next year I'm going to have an accountant do my taxes as I'm an equities AND FX trader... I'll let him figure it out...

If I were you, just google wash sale... you'll sooner or later come across IRS' official publication which right now escapes me...

#12     Mar 12, 2006
  3. you are wrong. wash sale rules apply no matter what month you do it.

"But if you immediately buy it back you have re-established your long term position but have taken a "loss" for tax purposes"
    this is exactly what the irs does not allow. it is called loss shifting.

#13     Mar 12, 2006
  4. volente_00

volente_00

www.gainskeeper.com

It will even adjust for wash sales.

#14     Mar 12, 2006
  5. MRWSM

MRWSM

Those programs are really expensive and could add up to thousands of dollars for an active trader. Going to an accountant will be even more. If you want to save some money you can try your hand at downloading to msmoney but it never worked out for me doing that. I just copy and paste the trades right from my broker to a word document then add all the necessary columns and totals, that's it. I did 1500 trades in a few days work on a word document, title it Schedule D Continuation.

#15     Mar 12, 2006
  6. True, but remember that a wash sale is not the end of the world. A wash sale simply postpones the loss. The loss will serve to adjust the basis of the newly purchased stock, and will therefore be realized when the new stock is sold.

The problem with wash sales is the accounting work involved to report them.

OldTrader

#16     Mar 13, 2006
  7. robbob

robbob

TradeKeeper is actually $50 per year not $3,000. Check out the website.

#17     Mar 13, 2006
  8. Sanjuro

Sanjuro

I can't believe GainsKeeper charges based on how many trades it imports. And when 1 trade gets broken into 5 orders to fill, it charges it as 5 trades.

What a rip-off for active traders.

#18     Mar 13, 2006
  9. or free with my scottrade account. :)

#19     Mar 13, 2006
  10. No, it is not free. It is already included in their commission scheme :p

#20     Mar 13, 2006