Losing Internet Connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Toonces, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Toonces

Toonces

I've had cable internet (Road Runner) for a few years now. Overall very reliable, but fairly often (daily) I seem to lose my connection for just a few seconds. I know it's on my end because I'll lose connection to everything all at once. All my software programs will log out, then log back on again.

Just yesterday I added DSL as a backup, and I've already seen the same thing happen twice within a couple hours. I was hoping this was a problem unique to my ISP, but now I'm guessing this is a common problem.

Does this happen to anyone else? Is it caused by my ISP, or could there be another cause?

2. when it happens, do the "connected" lights on your cable modem go out or blink a lot differently than when you are able to surf around with no problem? if so, then you are losing connection with your ISP. if not, it is likely not your ISP.

3. Zuizo

Zuizo

I've been experiencing slight problems for about 1 month with my cable comnnection.

I'm getting some packet loss during the day. Most noticably at about 10am.

My cable stays connected for the entire day but I notice slight "hiccups" with my data, I run a Trace Route several times a day, using this site set up for cybertrader clients:

http://test2.cybertrader.com/

It appears that AT&T and occasionally UUNET backbone are dropping packets.

4. I lost connection 4 or 5 times today. That's the most ever.

Maybe it had something to do with the winter storm? Any thoughts on that?:confused:

5. over the past week. I will lose connection for 5-6 seconds at a time, then it will come back. It's really only been over the past week (or two).

Anyone from Southern California? It could be that certain "nodes" (I think that's what they're called) are causing the blips. Many times it affects a certain region at the same time.

dog

6. I'm in South OC and haven't noticed any disruption in service recently. Most of the time when it dies (DSL) it's down for extended periods at a time.

Later,

Cracked

7. cheeks

cheeks

I have RR too. No problems at all here. (I live in North Carolina)

8. miniTrdr

miniTrdr

i had problems with esignal, linksys router and DSL, when i was streaming 100-120 symbols i would have connection issues. i have 5 static ips with a linux firewall on 4 and the linksys on the 5th. i switched to going thru the linux firewall and issue went away. ive been told by esignal or linksys (not sure which one) to mess with the MTU settings on the linksys. havent tried it out yet while streaming that many symbols. i also couldnt browse pages and pings would time out when the issue came up - so it wasnt esignal.

the linux firewall is great if you have a spare 400mhz box, free for personal use, its a hardened linux distribution and firewall with web gui to set it up. it wipes your harddrive when installing and is meant to be a dedicated firewall

http://www.astaro.com/

9. I have RR too, but if you're serious about trading (and you've been profitable for awhile), it makes sense to invest in a t-1 if you're in a major metro area..

Around here you can get a fractional (256kbps) for $500 or less, including the loop charge.

If you're really serious, get a dedicated circuit for your quotes (I think esignal offers this), and another one to your broker. But you'd have to be doing major size for your broker to even bother.

regards,
    laz

10. kowboy

kowboy

Last spring I was plagued by dropouts, lost connections, and software crashes and freezes, to the point I thought I would have to give up trading. I have only one availabe choice for an IP--wireless at 480 kb.

The solution was to have my IP assign a static IP adress so that I could stay connected to the brokers computer so it could find my computer in the event of temporary lost connections.

#10     Dec 21, 2002