Losing All Your Possesions

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by antincedo, Oct 11, 2008.

1. "So in conclusion, don't take stuff to seriously. Stuff is just crap."

Not only that, but I found that most of my crap required some degree of maintenance, which took up time. Since my time is more valuable to me than most of my crap, I rid myself of much of it.

#51     Oct 13, 2008
  2. jem

jem

#52     Oct 13, 2008
  3. jem

jem

Yeah, but in the end Data played not to lose.

#53     Oct 13, 2008
  4. KK70

KK70

"Attachment is the source of all suffering."

- The second of the four noble truths of Buddhism

#54     Oct 13, 2008
  5. 9999

Couldn't have said it better myself.
    The only thing you truly own is your soul (spirit, mind, whatever you wanna call it). Anything else is just an illusion.

#55     Oct 13, 2008
  6. then you really don't understand what life is about. Many "rich and successful people" are constantly doing self-destructive things. They make a lot, and find out their life is no more meaningful than it was before. Backstabbing, me-too, expensive toys, etc. fill the closet, not the soul. In fact, it can be downright empty...

Try hanging around with some people who could use encouragement, mentoring, vision, hope, concern, and a lot of other things. Be a teacher, not a GQ poster boy.

Success is much more about close friends & family, finding your place in the world, giving back, leaving some kind of meaningful legacy, enjoying each day and finding purpose, etc. etc.

There is no U-Haul behind your hearse. You go out as quickly, naked and cold as the poor.

Reminds me one time, a rich man had his coffin filled up with gold. When he got to heaven, he was toting his 24K ingots around. An angel saw him and asked, "why did you bring paving stones? (the sidewalks were gold, lol)...

#56     Oct 13, 2008
  7. (You don't own that either.)

We can't take anything with us. No matter how much wealth
    you/I accumulate, it all goes back.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

17 So I hated life, because the work that is done under the sun was grievous to me. All of it is meaningless, a chasing after the wind. 18 I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. 19 And who knows whether he will be a wise man or a fool? Yet he will have control over all the work into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=25&chapter=2&version=31&context=chapter
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Screwtape Letter XXI (by C.S. Lewis)

Screwtape (a high level demon) talks about ownership.
    I felt like posting the entire letter, but it's on-line, so only an
    excerpt and link will be provided.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sense of ownership in general is always to be encouraged...
    We produce this sense of ownership not only by pride but by confusion. We teach them not to notice the different senses of the possessive pronoun—the finely graded differences that run from "my boots" through "my dog", "my servant", "my wife", "my father", "my master" and "my country", to "my God". They can be taught to reduce all these senses to that of "my boots", the "my" of ownership.

http://members.fortunecity.com/phantom1/books2/c._s._lewis_-_the_screwtape_letters.htm

#57     Oct 13, 2008
  8. You are correct.

Perhaps this is much like a trader that takes a few days off
    from trading when things are going badly, to preserve capital.
    (The time can also be used to calm down, re-think, etc.)

#58     Oct 13, 2008
  9. wave

wave

A man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.

#59     Oct 13, 2008
  10. This is exactly what I am doing. I'm moving to Chicago in early 2009 from Florida.

#60     Oct 13, 2008